MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: 38 wadcutters and Trail Boss

38 wadcutters and Trail Boss

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullets.jpg 
Views:	646 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	56662

This is the load I'm working on. The boolit (seen on top) is an H+G 148 grain solid wadcutter. The Hornady data says 2.8 grains of Trail Boss max for a 148 gr hollow case wadcutter at 675 FPS. These are 38's fired in a 357 GP-100. I had shot a 158 gr Semi wadcutter with 4 grains of Trail Boss and it did very well. That charge is barely below the boolit. I noted that the 148 grain sits deeper in the case, so less powder space is available.

But, if I crimp in the first lube groove there is plenty of space, actually a little more than with the 158. Those drop in the chamber just fine. If I load to the middle groove then I have to barely thumb the rounds in.

Since these rounds are tumble lubed I am not worried about the actual groove itself. So I figure to load the boolit with 4 grains of TB crimped in the first lube groove. Maybe 4.2 loaded in the middle groove. Since the pressure is literally half of the 357's max, I'm not worried about the increased bearing surface.

Anybody done this?

Boolit Master
    Shortly after Trail Boss was introduced, I tried it in .38 Special wadcutters. Started light and worked up to a case full up to the flat-base of the wadcutter. Accuracy was OK, but was not quite as accurate as my loads with Bullseye. I have stayed with Bullseye for target wadcutters. Trail Boss is still my powder for 38-40, 44-40, and 32-20, though.

I am loading this bullet with 5.9 grains of AA#5 to the first groove. That is the load for a 158 grain semi wadcutter. Since the penitration in the case is slightly less than the 158, and I'm using 38 special data that is not +P, I don't expect an issue. Should be about 950 FPS

Banned

At 950 fps that will do some serious damage. Nice looking wadcutter

Boolit Master
    I'm using 38 special data that is not +P, I don't expect an issue. Should be about 950 FPS
    In a gp100? Yeah, definitely no problem.

That's cool, I wouldn't have thought to load them shallow like that. I have a few of those loaded over 3.5 grains of 700x, but they're seated to the crimp groove. I understand we need to be careful with hot loads and wadcutters due to the high pressures that can happen. Good remedy there, armednfree.

The real pressure issue with full wadcutters is with hollow base wadcutters. With the hollow base it is said that the center can blow out and leave the skirt in the bore., I've never seen that, but then I've never shot HB wadcutters. Also, just like a minie bullet, if the pressure is too high it blows the skirt out. I have seen that with minie bullets.

Been loading 2.7 gr behind a 148 lee standard lube groove wadcutter. Chrono said about 670 if I remember correctly. Load depth was all the way to crimp groove.

Prob most accurate handgun load I have, at 15 yes and under.

Merry Christmas

Boolit Master
    HBWCs have to kept at some low velocity--I would guess 800fps max. I have found 9-10 holes in my target at 25 yards after firing 5 shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry O View Post
    Shortly after Trail Boss was introduced, I tried it in .38 Special wadcutters. Started light and worked up to a case full up to the flat-base of the wadcutter. Accuracy was OK, but was not quite as accurate as my loads with Bullseye. I have stayed with Bullseye for target wadcutters. Trail Boss is still my powder for 38-40, 44-40, and 32-20, though.
    Ditto here. In a Colt Officers Model that will cut one ragged hole per 5 shots at 10 yards offhand with 2.8 of Bullseye, the Trail Boss would never do better than about 3/4 inch, and that only 1 time per box of ammo.

A while ago I tried loading 'em long like that, but it never worked. The old timers had it worked out to a "T", and I'm back to doing what they did now.
    Cognitive Dissident

I used to shoot a ton of the h&g #50's 148g wc & loaded them so the crimp was in the 1st lube groove like the top round in your pic.

The h&g #50 had the same seating depth as the Lyman 358477 when it was loaded/crimped in that groove. I could interchange the 2 bullets, same powder charge, same accuracy, same poa.

I used to load them from mild to wild & shoot them in 38spl cases in a s&w 586. You loads would be a walk in the park for your gp100.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a Lee 148 gr WC mold recently at my local shop. Looked like it had been on the shelf for years (2 cav, standard lube grooves) and it instantly became one of my favorite molds.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DrCaveman View Post
    Been loading 2.7 gr behind a 148 lee standard lube groove wadcutter. Chrono said about 670 if I remember correctly. Load depth was all the way to crimp groove.

Prob most accurate handgun load I have, at 15 yes and under.

Merry Christmas

That has been the go-to load since before 1960. Probably much longer than that.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Crimping in the lower grove didn't do any good. Experiment failed. I guess I'll hone my skills with the 3 grain bullseye load and crimp to the regular grove. I really need to get the 357 blackhawk because the whole Idea is a single action at extended range for hunting. I used to shoot them very well, but I put it down for a long time and the skills perished a good bit.

I used to shoot them extensively and hunt with them. I killed deer out to 115 yards with a 44 mag. But when my hands went bad I started shooting long range rifle and combat pistol (which I do pretty darn good for an old fat guy) But the big revolvers are a bit different, so I have to revive those skills. Lots of light cheap loads training the sight picture, trigger squeeze and hold through and start tossing in heavy loads late summer.

Boolit Master
    I've found my 586 shoots it's best with a 158grn WC over a case full,5grns of TB,very light recoil and all the accuracy I want to 50mtrs. Pat