Setup cheap bluetooth module

Hey!

I resently bought this bluetooth module http://cgi.ebay.com/Bluetooth-UART-RS232-serial-Converter-Module-TTL-Ship-/20051...

But i cant seem to configure it via putty or other software... I have tried all sorts of thing but notthing works. Right now i have hooked it up like this... expect for the blue wire, cant see the point with it.. I found the image the this topic http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1272527812

I have also set the pio11 as “high” as described in the datasheet to enter “AT command response” http://www.sendspace.com/file/yyu4vy

My problem is that i cant get any response from the bluetooth module, in putty it seems to be connected, but i cant type anything i putty. The cursor is just a green square… The only “response” i can see is when i press “enter” then the RX led on my seeeduino i lighting up…

Hope anyone can help me…

Try to connect the Reset to

Try to connect the Reset to 3.3V via a resistor, just to make sure it is set to "one"

and to connect the RX on the module directly to the TX, in putty it should return every thing you type

Thanks!Ill try it

Thanks!

Ill try it tomorrow… Which resistor value would you suggest? 10K in between 3.3v and reset? The same i have done with PIO11 as “high” ?

10K will do

10K will do

$15 is definitely cheap for Bluetooth

If this BT module gives you problems I recommend the RN-42 module, sells for $20 at mouser and is configurable via Bluetooth link which is a bonus imo.  These things are a pain to solder even with a breakout board.  I also noticed you didn’t short CTS to RTS, I did this in my setup.

I have a similar module

I have a similar module (Raytech BTM-222). To get it work, connect LEDs on the outputs PIO9 and PIO8, as shown in the schematic, to find out the current mode of the module. My BT module can only be configured with AT commands from the UART side, not from the Bluetooth side, but works without configuration in auto-connect mode.

GrrrH!

I tried all of your suggestions but nothing works!!

Dont really get it!

I still think Putty is reacting a bit strange, why does it just sit there with a “green square” as a cursor? I cant type anything! In Anduino serial monitor i can in fact type and click “send” but no response!

The only reason why i what to go in “AT mode” is to change the baud rate so Amarino (http://www.amarino-toolkit.net/) can communicate with it. It requires baud 57600! Any suggustions?

If nothing works im ready to buy another bluetooth module… Is the RN-42 the best offer?

I am currently using an

I am currently using an RN-41-SM which is the RN-41 class 1 module broken out to a board with extras.  At $45 from mouser it is much better and $20 cheaper than a bluesmirf gold from sparkfun.  It does require desoldering two smd resistors to use without the onboard rs232 ic, and installing a header.  A little more expensive but it works well, and the range is great, I’ve tested it and it does do ~100m communicating with another class 1 module.

If you go the cheap route for a bare module, you might try supergluing the metal case so the bottom of the module is facing out from your board so the pads are easier to solder to.  All five or so ground pins are internally connected so you can probably get away with soldering only one if you need to, don’t know what effect that will have on the life of the module.

New module

I gave up this module!

So now i bought the RN-42 module, hope this work better! Do anyone know where to find some good tutorials for this module and my arduino?

Tutorials on Sparkfun perhaps

Sparkfun uses the RN-41 module (pin compatible with RN-42) on the Bluesmirf they sell.  There is probably some tutorial and forum posts on using it with an arduino on their site.

Got my RN-42

Got my RN-42 module yesterday…

And it works like a charm!

Thanks for the recommendation! Now the building begins… :wink:

sweet

I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

It’s a pretty simple serial

It’s a pretty simple serial device so most any tutorial on Serial com will work with it. You just need to make sure you bind it to another bt device(bt usb key on a computer) to use it.

If i get an RN-42 module can

If i get an RN-42 module can i connect it up to a class one bluetooth module?

yeah

yeah, the range will be limited to class 2

re

remove the atmega chip and then try!

re

finally got what was worng pin 11 must be LOW for atleast .05sec

You guys ever try these

You guys ever try these modules:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-Bluetooth-Module-Slave-Wireless-Serial-Board-X3-/330592919930?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf8dfa17a

You can get them from many places on ebay for around $10-12 with shipping, if you order 3 at a time it’s easy to get them for $10 each.  I’m not a bluetooth expert, but they seem to work for me.  I’ve never done anything high speed with them, and i’ve never done a range test, but i’ve never had a communication error.  I’ve linked my Android Asus Transformer tablet with them, and my cell phone, and they connect up.  I used em with a grblshield, it’s a cnc controller, to wireless control some stepper motors.

seeedstudio sells very similar looking modules for $20, they almost look identical.