Question POE voltage question

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Been looking into POE security cameras and it seems most of them are 12v and not 48v, and some even say they don't come with an injector. Finding the exact injector to go with the exact camera may be hard, if impossible, as the same site that sells it may not even carry it. What happens if I plug this into a dedicated POE switch? Will it negotiate the voltage and will the switch send 12v, or is the standard only 48v and will it fry the camera?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That may only be useful if it turns out I can plug the devices directly, if I need separate injectors anyway because they use different voltages then it won't matter. Same with my Unifi APs I think they use 12v. I don't know why they can't all stick to the standard.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

High-Power Power over Ethernet Plus (PoE+)
Cisco 500 Series switches support the Power over Ethernet Plus (PoE+) standard (IEEE 802. at), providing up to 30 watts per port. The power is managed in a smart fashion such that only the amount of power the endpoint needs is delivered to it and not wasted. As a result, the switches can support devices that require more power, such as dual-band 802.11n wireless access points, video-based IP phones, surveillance cameras, and more.
PoE capabilities simplify the deployment of advanced technologies by allowing you to connect and power network endpoints over a single Ethernet cable, without having to install separate power supplies. Cisco 500 Series switches are also fully backwards compatible with IEEE 802.11af PoE and previous- generation Cisco legacy PoE protocols.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Is that just marketing wizbang to say it supports different voltages? The entire datasheet does not seem to mention anything about voltage. If it can indeed support it, it might work.

Not in a position to buy anything but just trying to get my ducks in a row for once I'm on the market to actually buy. Theft in my area is skyrocketting at an insane pace so I might start with buying just the camera and put it in the front window, until I can afford to do a proper install.

Burner27

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Red Squirrel: the SG500 I am using is a PoE+ switch. It currently runs several 12v cameras, two Meraki MR42 WAPs, and a Ubiquiti Nano WAP. None of them require the use of their respective PoE injectors and all function perfectly. If you are interested in buying the other SG500 I have for sale, let me know. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Red Squirrel: the SG500 I am using is a PoE+ switch. It currently runs several 12v cameras, two Meraki MR42 WAPs, and a Ubiquiti Nano WAP. None of them require the use of their respective PoE injectors and all function perfectly. If you are interested in buying the other SG500 I have for sale, let me know. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.

He's in northern Ontario. Shipping kills the deal.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Ok that's good to know, that's what I wanted to know if POE switches can provide different voltages.

With exchange rate and shipping it would probably be out of my price range though. Not quite looking at buying now, mostly just want to get my ducks in a row so if I do run into a good ebay deal or something I know to jump on it. I might eventually replace my 2 24 port switches with a single 48 poe. The poe switches don't use more power unless it's actually providing power right? Like if the port is not set to poe it's just a normal port?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Ok that's good to know, that's what I wanted to know if POE switches can provide different voltages.

With exchange rate and shipping it would probably be out of my price range though. Not quite looking at buying now, mostly just want to get my ducks in a row so if I do run into a good ebay deal or something I know to jump on it. I might eventually replace my 2 24 port switches with a single 48 poe. The poe switches don't use more power unless it's actually providing power right? Like if the port is not set to poe it's just a normal port?

configurable in blocks. I got my Baystack 5520-48t-pwr for like 100 plus tax used. This was quite a few years back, like 2014.

here is one on ebay

another

extreme network

Cisco

plenty of gigabit switches. You should just move up to FC :awe:

Last edited:

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Are we sure we're even talking about standardized PoE like 802.3af or 802.3.at? Or are we talking about something like Passive PoE? A lot of the switches being mentioned here won't do Passive PoE.