Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slowsoul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
This is terrifying: not even a month of life. Plus: the return of the butterfly keyboard???
5B88938E-D5AC-4925-9CC6-960015AD6A93.jpeg

Last edited:

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Sometimes you just get a defective unit. I had a 2013 model with a broken enter key. Did that means all of them were bad? no. Apple replaced it and never had that issue on any other machine.

Call Apple you're still in warranty :)

Tres

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
I had this happen on my 2013 rMBP.

Take it to the Genius Bar. They’ll probably just be able to replace the key.

slowsoul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
I had this happen on my 2013 rMBP.

Take it to the Genius Bar. They’ll probably just be able to replace the key.
I just did, and they will but only next week and after keeping it for 48 hrs at least. It will be a problem because of work, but what else can I do?

slowsoul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
Some strong fingers ha. Sucks though and sad to see these weird comments, keyboards should definitely not do this so regardless of mechanism.

Can you pop it back in or does it keep coming loose?
I tried but it keeps getting loose. Apple guy said the mechanism is completely broken.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I just did, and they will but only next week and after keeping it for 48 hrs at least. It will be a problem because of work, but what else can I do?
You can call Apple Support again and get them to authorize and schedule an in-person fix. No way a key replacement requires them holding your computer for two days. Ask for a supervisor if the tier 1 person cant do it.

• Angry
Reactions: EmotionalSnow

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
well, if you're that concerned you could have bought a previous gen one that was proven to not have a faulty keyboard. if you're on the bleeding edge you can expect some problems.

This is a ridiculous advice. How is that the customer's fault if a product has a problem?

It’s always so ****ing weird how some macrumors posters jump to defend apple over every tiny perceived slight.

If that describes you reevaluate your life. It’s beyond pathetic to build your identity around worshipping a company that produces consumer electronics.

It just as pathetic to cry doom and gloom every time a mass-produced unit shows an even slight defect (not suggesting that you do, but the attitude of "I happen to have a problem therefore EVERYONE must have this problem" is more common than one would think).

You can call Apple Support again and get them to authorize and schedule an in-person fix. No way a key replacement requires them holding your computer for two days. Ask for a supervisor if the tier 1 person cant do it.

They clearly state that the mechanism is broken and will require a full keyboard replacement.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
How old is the machine? If it’s relatively new, you could just ask for a replacement if being out a machine will be seriously problematic for you. That said, if it’s over a month, it’s unlikely they’d agree.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
This is terrifying: not even a month of life. Plus: the return of the butterfly keyboard???

Not disagreeing with what the photo shows, not saying this is your fault, not defending Apple.

BUT

You do not mention how you use the keyboard. Are you hard on the keyboard? Did you hammer the keys hundreds of times, to check for something?

Again, not asking to insinuate your mistake or to defend Apple. Just asking to make sure I can avoid this on my computer.

Reactions: 3Rock

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
oh hey what is your keyboard ? canadian? i see french characters on it
I've never really liked the French Canadian layout myself, and have forgotten it completely, but on first sight, it seems different.
Also noticed : ò isn't French !

But back on topic : Yes, it looks faulty and luckily you're under warranty. Apple will repair it for free, and let's hope it doesn't happen anymore.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'm wondering if the new "Magic keyboards" require a complete topcase replacement, or if the keyboard (alone) can be replaced? (leaving everything else intact)

That would explain why the Apple Store would need to "keep it" for 48 hours or so...

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
I've never really liked the French Canadian layout myself, and have forgotten it completely, but on first sight, it seems different.
Also noticed : ò isn't French !

But back on topic : Yes, it looks faulty and luckily you're under warranty. Apple will repair it for free, and let's hope it doesn't happen anymore.
Hmm that's true ,i confused the o with a ç somehow

Why don't u like CA layout ? I think it's the best for English+french typing

Or should I say , qwerty us is good for English in default layout,and QWERTY CA for french.

Qwerty us will work well with everything IG.works well in Hebrew too

slowsoul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
Not disagreeing with what the photo shows, not saying this is your fault, not defending Apple.

BUT

You do not mention how you use the keyboard. Are you hard on the keyboard? Did you hammer the keys hundreds of times, to check for something?

Again, not asking to insinuate your mistake or to defend Apple. Just asking to make sure I can avoid this on my computer.

I swear I just type normally.

massimiliano_mr

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2021
I have just seen this thread, and I think it somewhat relates to my recent thread. My MacBook Pro 14" is two days old, and some of its key buttons are already starting to wear. I am from Italy too, but my MacBook has a customised keyboard with US Layout.

Reactions: fc4090
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.