Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlitzWater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2009
So I'm using my computer normally with my trackpad and lately I've been noticing that I've had to press slightly harder to get an actual "Click" to even register. When I do press down, it still makes the click sound, but it doesn't register the actual click. The right side of the trackpad registers clicks more responsive than the left side. This problem has gotten worse as months passed.

So my issue was I was trying to test out the bottom corner clicks for Secondary Click. I set the option to the bottom right corner and it registers the secondary click as it should. Switching it to the left however is the opposite, I had to apply just a little more pressure to press down for it to register a legit click, but to my surprise while pressing down I hear a crack noise noticing the trackpad just cracked. I copied the example in the system preference trackpad video example of how they do it. As you can see in the picture the crack is just where it's suppose to pushed.

I use the trackpad daily at normal use and occasionally switch to a mouse when needed, but this was unexpected. I still have apple care and purchased this computer last year in July from a Best Buy store, and I also ordered their accidental warranty plan when I purchased. What I would like to know is if Apple themselves would fix this kind of issue for free if it were to be a defect and an estimate of how much it would cost if they didn't cover it.

Attachments

• DSC00080.JPG
    DSC00080.JPG
    592.8 KB · Views: 5,351
  • DSC00081.JPG
    DSC00081.JPG
    541.2 KB · Views: 4,604
  • DSC00082.JPG
    DSC00082.JPG
    507.2 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC00083.JPG
    DSC00083.JPG
    709.6 KB · Views: 966
  • DSC00084.JPG
    DSC00084.JPG
    707.9 KB · Views: 238

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I still have apple care and purchased this computer last year in July from a Best Buy store, and I also ordered their accidental warranty plan when I purchased. What I would like to know is if Apple themselves would fix this kind of issue for free if it were to be a defect and an estimate of how much it would cost if they didn't cover it.

Apple most likely will not fix it for free, as Applecare doesn't cover accidental damage. Repairing it likely involves replacing the entire top case- a couple hundred dollars.

BlitzWater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2009
Apple most likely will not fix it for free, as Applecare doesn't cover accidental damage. Repairing it likely involves replacing the entire top case- a couple hundred dollars.

I see. Well I'll be taking this to Best Buy then. Thanks for your opinion.

burns863

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2009
Have a Genius look at it at an Apple Store. I'm not sure that the damage wouuld be classed as accidental damage. It shouldn't just crack like that.

BlitzWater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2009
Post back here with what BestBuy tells you... I don't know how the accidental warranty plans work. It'd be cool if they just replaced it without asking questions.

I will, I may just go to the Apple Store first to see what their take will be on it. The Best Buy store and the Apple Store are in the same vicinity area.

Have a Genius look at it at an Apple Store. I'm not sure that the damage wouuld be classed as accidental damage. It shouldn't just crack like that.

I will have a go with the Apple Store first. Thanks.

I came across this post on macrumors with a similar problem

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/695133/

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
I second this advice. Even if you have to be a little persuasive, I think that Apple should be your first stop.

BlitzWater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2009
I second this advice. Even if you have to be a little persuasive, I think that Apple should be your first stop.

I will try my best for that. The ironic thing is I was planning on taking it to the store prior to this happening. I was just wondering why it wouldn't click then yeah to my surprise :eek:

burns863

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2009

I don't think that there is even a need for any persuasion. Just being honest is the best way to go about it. The technicians see people trying to blag their way through things every single day, when really all they want is for people to be honest with them.

Its also worth noting that the technicians have access to report which assess and discuss different types of cracks. Reports which help to determine visually (to a certain extent), whether the crack was caused through impact or through other means.

Hope this helps :)

BlitzWater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2009
I don't think that there is even a need for any persuasion. Just being honest is the best way to go about it. The technicians see people trying to blag their way through things every single day, when really all they want is for people to be honest with them.

Its also worth noting that the technicians have access to report which assess and discuss different types of cracks. Reports which help to determine visually (to a certain extent), whether the crack was caused through impact or through other means.

Yes, I will be honest with them. If both stores cannot offer to fix it free of charge, I'll just buy a Moshi Trackguard to cover it up. Though, would it be possible for them to still fix the issue of it not responding to clicks without replacing the entire case?

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006

Persuasion /= dishonesty. I was merely saying that even if he has to make a strong case for himself, this looks to be a defect and the factory warranty should take precedence over an aftermarket plan.

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
Off topic, but now is the first time I saw the trackpad was glass (by the way it cracked). Even though it's publicized as being glass, it doesn't really feel glassy.

BlitzWater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2009
Well I took in my Macbook Pro today to the apple store. They said they wouldn't cover the damage on the actual track pad but, they offered free labor and they would replace the "glass" for just about 70 dollars at most not including tax. The genius said the top case was "NOT" necessary to be replaced. It was for the older model Macbook Pro's. The part should be here within 2 -3 days.

Thanks for all your replies.

DevinPitcher

macrumors regular
May 23, 2009
Michigan, USA, Earth
I would call Apple Customer Relations and ask that it be replaced for free, since it was obviously defective. I click in my corners all the time, and hard sometimes too, and it's not broken. (Knock on wood.) They're good with these things and would probably waive the fee for you all together.

BlitzWater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2009
I would call Apple Customer Relations and ask that it be replaced for free, since it was obviously defective. I click in my corners all the time, and hard sometimes too, and it's not broken. (Knock on wood.) They're good with these things and would probably waive the fee for you all together.

I see, do you think I would have a chance? What is their number? If they were able to waive the fee, would I just go to the store to receive my money back? One thing I wonder is what the genius do behind the scenes of checking the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.