Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macula

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
All over the place
Is there any indication that the phenomenon is becoming less frequent in more recent batches?

Should I expect a Macbook built within the next week or so to be equally vulnerable to cracking as those built months ago?

Does the use of a protective wrist pad (adhesive) diffuse the pressure of the screen protectors enough to prevent the cracking?

Thank you.

DMC-12

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Nashville, TN
I also have the same questions of the OP. I just ordered my refurbished MacBook and I'm going to use a Moshi PalmGuard. This issue needs to be explored more seriously, as it always seems to get put on the back burner.

marykay9507

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
from what i have seen, the top case has been redesigned due to the frequency of the cracking-- the replacement i received is different than what the original was and seems a little sturdier

MacDude415

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2007
San Francisco
I have a two month old Santa Rosa MacBook and I pay attention to how I shut my it, and so far I have no cracks or signs of cracks, but I don't really know if I can expect that to last with the amount of cracked top cases I have seen.

JSchwage

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2006
Rochester, NY
I bought a refurbished MacBook in November and I have yet to see any kind of crack. My feeling is that this problem has been resolved.

marykay9507

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
i have one of the original ones from when they first came out-- if you have purchased one recently, there shouldn't be a problem

Teuszday

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2007
I purchased a new santa rosa macbook back in November when they first came out . I'm always careful with how I shut it, and my topcase is just starting to crack. So I guess it just depends on how long ago you purchased it, but like I said, the ones from November are still cracking.

dougnewman

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
Long Island, NY, USA
The retrofitted top case (this month) on my MB from March 2007 does feel rather sturdier than the original one.

I doubt I'll keep it long enough to see if it cracks again, though, as I'm after a new MBP.

Either way, I would not let the crack situation deter you from buying a new MB. It's still an absolutely incredible little notebook for the price. The main reason I want to upgrade to the MBP is for the bigger, higher-res display... Otherwise, the MB is great.

AlexanderTgreat

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Winnipeg canada
Is there any indication that the phenomenon is becoming less frequent in more recent batches?

Should I expect a Macbook built within the next week or so to be equally vulnerable to cracking as those built months ago?

Does the use of a protective wrist pad (adhesive) diffuse the pressure of the screen protectors enough to prevent the cracking?

Thank you.

Well my macbook is less than 4 months old and I am already on my 3rd top case, so I'm going to have to say no it has not been resolved or even reduced

AlexanderTgreat

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Winnipeg canada
I purchased a new santa rosa macbook back in November when they first came out . I'm always careful with how I shut it, and my topcase is just starting to crack. So I guess it just depends on how long ago you purchased it, but like I said, the ones from November are still cracking.

I've had 2 top cases crack on me now. After the first one I made an all out effort to always close it gently but it did absolutely no good, if anything the second top case cracked even faster than the first.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
I've had 2 top cases crack on me now. After the first one I made an all out effort to always close it gently but it did absolutely no good, if anything the second top case cracked even faster than the first.

:eek:

Just how do you close the lid? Mine is from November 2007 too, and it isn't cracking.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003

I don't think how gently or firmly you close the lid will make a big difference; I think finding ways to distribute the weight/pressure applied by the screen would help, though.

I'm not in the mood to lose my MAcBook for a few days over some cracks in the case, so I'm currently using two items to help:

WildEepz along the sides of the keyboard:
http://www.radtech.us/Products/Wildeepz.aspx

Marware Protection Pack for the palmrest:
http://www.marware.com/PRODUCTS/Apple-Laptop-Products/Protection-Pack-for-MacBook

I also used a little super glue to seal off the existing cracks (be careful to just seal the crack and not glue the palmrest part of the case to the bottom case!). Here's hoping it prevents further cracks.

MrTattoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
3rd Top case being fitted

I have taken my Macbook into the Apple retailer today to get my 3rd Top case fitted,the last 2 cracked in exactly the same place. It is being fitted free of charge {out of warranty} but i really don't want to keep having to go through this procedure all the time. I have been considering a new macbook with the 2.4ghz,4gb Hard-Drive and a 250gb Memory but now i am not sure that it would be a good move to make at the moment in anticipation that there will be a re-design soon {something has to be done!} and as for having to buy add-on's to try and stop the problem,that's not the answer. I hope Apple are looking at this problem seriously and plan to make a major revamp on the Macbook to solve this issue {which must be a thorn in their sides,let alone damage their reputation} and bring us a good sturdy option as the Macbook AIR is not the solution,though i had hoped that it would have been {Yet, the Aluminium used would have been the answer for a sturdy Macbook}.

AlexanderTgreat

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Winnipeg canada
I have taken my Macbook into the Apple retailer today to get my 3rd Top case fitted,the last 2 cracked in exactly the same place. It is being fitted free of charge {out of warranty} but i really don't want to keep having to go through this procedure all the time. I have been considering a new macbook with the 2.4ghz,4gb Hard-Drive and a 250gb Memory but now i am not sure that it would be a good move to make at the moment in anticipation that there will be a re-design soon {something has to be done!}. I hope Apple are looking at this problem seriously and plan to make a major revamp on the Macbook to solve this issue {which must be a thorn in their sides,let alone damage their reputation} and bring us a good sturdy option as the Macbook AIR is not the solution,though i had hoped that it would have been {Yet, the Aluminium used would have been the answer for a sturdy Macbook}.

I just sold my last macbook and bought another one in sear desperation. My last one had deteriorated to the point that there were just too many problems. I expect to have the same top case cracks with in a few months but with out down grading to an old ibook I really couldn't see any other option at the moment.

m.a.clarkie

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
Crack in Mac

I noticed the same problem the other day. My mac has a 3 inch long crack on bottom left side of keyboard. I took it into Futureshop where I purchased it in June( along with a $300 extended warranty). The customer service representative claimed to have never seen this happen and was very doubtful that Apple would repair it under warranty. He said I must have dropped it ( which I have not) . Upon further inspection, he noticed a tiny drop of coffee on the top. He then informed me there are obvious signs of abuse towards my mac and he would send it off but Apple would probably do nothing for me. Am I really such a bad mac owner??? Or should I never give my business to Futureshop again?
Well... I am going to send it off to Apple and I'll post the outcome. I am certain they will repair it and am hopeful that I will not get stuck with a bill for it after reading that this indeed is a flaw in the product.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I noticed the same problem the other day. My mac has a 3 inch long crack on bottom left side of keyboard. I took it into Futureshop where I purchased it in June( along with a $300 extended warranty). The customer service representative claimed to have never seen this happen and was very doubtful that Apple would repair it under warranty. He said I must have dropped it ( which I have not) . Upon further inspection, he noticed a tiny drop of coffee on the top. He then informed me there are obvious signs of abuse towards my mac and he would send it off but Apple would probably do nothing for me. Am I really such a bad mac owner??? Or should I never give my business to Futureshop again?
Well... I am going to send it off to Apple and I'll post the outcome. I am certain they will repair it and am hopeful that I will not get stuck with a bill for it after reading that this indeed is a flaw in the product.

Unless you bought it from a true Apple Store (not all countries have Apple Stores), the regular reseller store guys are gonna say they have never seen your problems before, and accuse you of causing it. I hate it. I suggest you never have buisness with Futureshop again.

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
I had a cracked laptop, took it in and got it fixed. The palmwrest coloring and the other things liike the cracks have been resolved. I think you should be good to go.

MrTattoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007

Have to say i would give "FUTURESHOP" a Wide berth in "FUTURE"
They were obviously very Negative regarding a problem which Apple have already recognized and considering you purchased your Macbook from them,that was rubbish customer service,don't see their Future looking good at that rate. However you took the right action by getting it back to Apple yourself and if anyone gives you anymore Negative feedback,just tell them to check out this site and read what's happening out there with the Macbook or as someone recently named it as "Crackbook",Oooops!

brassguy98

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Still a problem

I have a late 2007 macbook, and have had the top case replaced four times now. The first was for a defective "W" key which I found amusing because Bush was President at the time, and the other three were for cracks on the palm rest. The the first replacement was done at the Apple Store in Tampa, the second saw it sent into Nashville, TN. and this last one just in March 2010 was replaced again at the apple store in Tampa. It cracked about two weeks ago now and I have a genius bar appt. at the Buffalo Apple store. So far Apple has been more the gracious to fix the problem, but we'll see what happens next. Each time, the new case does seem to be a little more study though. Maybe they're finally making some progress.

bri65

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
Italy
Crack near FN key

Hi there. I am writing to you from Italy where in July 2008 I baught a white 13" macbook. After a year the bottom case showed craks all over. a couple of months later a crack developed on the top case near the FN key. More recently the charger has stopped working. I have had more hardware problems with this laptop than I have had with 15 years worth of other computers put together.

I attach the photo of the top case crack. My question is if in the US Apple are changing the top cases, under an extended guarantee, which have the problem you see below? Also, I have never had a charger stop working on me. Are they changing the charger?
I ask these questions as in Europe they seem to be reluctant in doing so. they call the crack "accidental damage", which means that I broke it, and "cosmetic" which means that it is not important and therefore worthy of their attention.
I would appreciate some feed back. I will be going to Canada for a couple of weeks at the end of the month and was considering bringing the Macbook with me to see if the Apple centres take a differnt view on the matter.
thanks and ciao!!
dscn0444s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

bri65

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
Italy
macbook crack

UPDATE - I have just got back to Italy after my vacation in Canada. While in Toronto I took my Macbook to the Apple Store and without batting an eyelid, they changed the top case at no cost. They also gave me, FREE, an old never used charger that they had, as the new stile ones with new attachment, did not work on my laptop. Apple Italy and Apple Europe (Ireland) refused to do anything about the crack or the charger!!

I find it disgusting that in Italy and probably in the rest of Europe, we pay so much more for Apple products but receive less consideration when it comes to the after sales service. Being treated as 3rd class citizen is something that i do not accept!!!

I will not let this matter drop here! I don't see why the rest of the world should subsidise the lower prices of Apple products in N. America. Thank you Apple Toronto. No thank you what so ever to Apple in general!!!!

Hi there. I am writing to you from Italy where in July 2008 I baught a white 13" macbook. After a year the bottom case showed craks all over. a couple of months later a crack developed on the top case near the FN key. More recently the charger has stopped working. I have had more hardware problems with this laptop than I have had with 15 years worth of other computers put together.

I attach the photo of the top case crack. My question is if in the US Apple are changing the top cases, under an extended guarantee, which have the problem you see below? Also, I have never had a charger stop working on me. Are they changing the charger?
I ask these questions as in Europe they seem to be reluctant in doing so. they call the crack "accidental damage", which means that I broke it, and "cosmetic" which means that it is not important and therefore worthy of their attention.
I would appreciate some feed back. I will be going to Canada for a couple of weeks at the end of the month and was considering bringing the Macbook with me to see if the Apple centres take a differnt view on the matter.
thanks and ciao!!
dscn0444s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Fast/Furious

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Got mine fixed in July 2010. No cracking visible.. what I have noticed is that the topcase material looks a lot tougher and of a slightly different texture than the old one (compared to my friend's cracked Mid '07 MB) so it seems resolved to me. Apple's policy is that they will fix it if it's 36 months old (from either date of purchase or last topcase repair) for free. Hopefully it breaks again, I wouldn't mind paying an extra $200 for a refurbed MBP ;)

applemagic123

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
Black topcase is more durable

The black macbook is made from a higher quality plastic than the white one. My cousin has the black one, I've touched it & can tell it's better quality plastic.

She also has had it for 3 years now, closes the lid hard, and there are no cracks whatsoever in the top case. When I can afford it I'm going to purchase a black topcase from ebay and install it myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.