Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alchemistics

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2018
Switzerland
Hey everyone

My women threw an unidentified flying object at me and hit the wrong target.
Now my trackpad has a crack. It's still fully functional.

The local Apple Reseller wants to replace the whole TopCase.

iFixit sees this different: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+16-Inch+2019+Teardown/128106
Part: https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Retina-Late-2016-2019-Trackpad/IF117-057?o=1

Can I use a a MBP 15" Trackpad replacement part or does it have to be a 16" specific trackpad?
Will the warranty be void if I do this myself, can they tell?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 16.52.21.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 16.52.21.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 6,327
  • Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 16.47.05.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 16.47.05.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 592

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Yes they'd be able to tell as you have to remove the battery.

I don't honestly think the 15" trackpad will work, most likely the cable connections are different even if the same size.

alchemistics

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2018
Switzerland
Yes they'd be able to tell as you have to remove the battery.

I don't honestly think the 15" trackpad will work, most likely the cable connections are different even if the same size.

I could probably reuse the cable as the aren't soldered.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 17.01.17.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 17.01.17.png
    592.3 KB · Views: 307

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Can I use a a MBP 15" Trackpad replacement part or does it have to be a 16" specific trackpad?
Will the warranty be void if I do this myself, can they tell?
I'd be surprised if the 15" and 16" Trackpads are interchangeable, but I've been wrong before.
Apple doesn't replace trackpads as separate parts- they're swapped out with the entire top case, as your service provider stated. Apple does track serial numbers of parts that go inside Macs so it's likely they'd know you've swapped out a part, but it may not matter for warranty purposes.

alchemistics

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2018
Switzerland
You guys are awesome. The trackpad is still functional, so is the relationship. Love doesn‘t shatter as trackpads do.

I failed on chapter 22 and got the consequence.

Here is an excerpt:

Don’t Force the Feminine to Make Decisions

A man abandons responsibility by expecting that his woman will always make her own decisions and then be accountable for the results. This expectation is a withholding of his masculine gift. It puts a woman in the position of magnifying her own masculine. It is good for some women to learn to animate their masculine capacity to make a decision and stick with it. But if a man abnegates his responsibility to provide his woman with the gift of masculine clarity and decisiveness, then she will become chronically sharp, angular, and distrustful of his love. She will cease surrendering in love with him, cease trusting his masculine capacity, and, instead, throw objects at him.

I don‘t see spending 700.- on a topcase replacement as long as it doesn‘t affect my workflow.

There will probably be a replacement part in the future and then I’ll do the repair myself.
I‘ll update here if this happens. Till then I keep the crack as my daily reminder.

Codeline

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2020
If my significant half threw an unidentifiable object at me and subsequent broke my trackpad then the trackpad would be the least of my worries as I would be looking for posts on ‘’how to remove teeth from a 16’’ display ???

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
You guys are awesome. The trackpad is still functional, so is the relationship. Love doesn‘t shatter as trackpads do.

I failed on chapter 22 and got the consequence.

Here is an excerpt:

I don‘t see spending 700.- on a topcase replacement as long as it doesn‘t affect my workflow.

There will probably be a replacement part in the future and then I’ll do the repair myself.
I‘ll update here if this happens. Till then I keep the crack as my daily reminder.

I see now why she did what she did. That psychobabble sexist claptrap from Deida would be enough for any intelligent woman to doubt her male partner if she caught him reading it.

me55

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2019
I thought the 16" trackpad is just a tiny bit bigger than the 15" one?

Webster's Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2016
I see now why she did what she did. That psychobabble sexist claptrap from Deida would be enough for any intelligent woman to doubt her male partner if she caught him reading it.
Say what you want about that quote but that *still* does not excuse her throwing stuff at him. There are ways of getting your point across and talking things out that don't require...throwing objects. I'd run for the hills if a woman threw something at me. Abuse is abuse, no matter the gender of the person who did the abusing

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Say what you want about that quote but that *still* does not excuse her throwing stuff at him. There are ways of getting your point across and talking things out that don't require...throwing objects. I'd run for the hills if a woman threw something at me. Abuse is abuse, no matter the gender of the person who did the abusing

Without going too deeply - Non of us know what was going on here (did he throw something first? What was thrown - perhaps it was something playful that just happened to catch the trackpad?)

In addition, as a woman I also object the phrase "my woman" and it's use is also an interesting turn of phrase that, given the Deida quote, does the OP no favors in my eyes.

At any rate all we have is one side of the story. And that side is lite on those facts (which is fine since it's not pertinent).

alchemistics

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2018
Switzerland
This story is finding a happy ending. And I'm sharing it here for everyone in a similar situation.

The local Apple Premium Service Provider would have charged 700.- for a complete top-case replacement, which was the only suggested solution.
This wasn't worth it for me because the cracked trackpad, lets call it crackpad was fully functional, though scuffs were certainly noticeable to touch.

Around a month ago I've discovered and ordered a replacement part A2141, for 34.-.
This is a 16" Replacement Trackpad including the connection cable.

This iFixit Guide documents the process of replacing it:

This week the part arrived. I opened the MacBook Pro 16" and replaced the trackpad.
I could even reuse the connection cable from the original Trackpad. The whole process took me a while, but is fairly easy. Make sure you have the right bits.

After reassembly (AND CONNECTING THE USB-C POWER CABLE) the MacBook started as it should.
Good news, the replacement Trackpad is fully functional.

Everything works as it should. It seems to behave slightly different to the edges, but it might be just subjective and doesn't affect workflow. Palm detection, multitouch everything works as expected.

While opening it, I could also clean it of the good amount of dust that gathered.
I added some pictures from the parts and the assembly.

All in all a solid 34.- fix for what seemed to require a total top-case replacement.
The end.

Attachments

• ShopA2141.png
    ShopA2141.png
    545.7 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1085.jpeg
    IMG_1085.jpeg
    300.6 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1084.jpeg
    IMG_1084.jpeg
    380.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1086.jpeg
    IMG_1086.jpeg
    597.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1088.jpeg
    IMG_1088.jpeg
    474.1 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1089.jpeg
    IMG_1089.jpeg
    525.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2262.jpeg
    IMG_2262.jpeg
    402.9 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2264.jpeg
    IMG_2264.jpeg
    449.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2266.jpeg
    IMG_2266.jpeg
    475.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1090.jpeg
    IMG_1090.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 1,230
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.