Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Theory question...

esse

I have this nice progression in G major that goes like this:

G major I

D major 6 V ( or B minor 7/D bass ? )III

E minor 7 VI

C major 7 IV

I follow that up with

G major I

D major 6 V

A minor 11 II

D sus 4/D maj 6 V

I put in some "in between" chords for melody and it sounds pretty good actually...so i keep going from one verse to the other ,but it seems i just cannot find a chorus/turnaround for it.

I keep hearing an F maj 7 ( not F#)with a G note on bass,as if i made the I chord in G a G sus4 add 9. cycling/modulating into the C major key i suppose...

Is there any other options...i would like to get back to the original G key because : it sounds good on guitar ( my instrument)

Correct me if i am wrong on anything i wrote , i am a total illiterate guitar player and so; play mostly by ear...

But i am a good student...me think

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the only rule is that there are no rules! ;)

If I tell you what to do will I get songwriting credit and

royalties? :confused::/

This isn't really a rut as far as guitar playing goes. It's just a normal part of songwriting. It really hard to suggest anything specific without really knowing where you are headed with this.

A key modulation 1/2 step or whole step could work sometimes.

Try singing out some lines and maybe you'll find a logical progression towards your chorus/turnaround. If you're in the key of G, you are headed in the right direction.

Maybe take a break and come back to it later.

Good luck! :)

Try singing out some lines and maybe you'll find a logical progression towards your chorus/turnaround. [...] Maybe take a break and come back to it later.
Excellent suggestions!

Sometimes it works better to choose a melody first and work out the arrangement (chord progression) second. I'd try that strategy to find your missing chorus/turnaround here.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

if I'm getting this right, your song is in G-major key. Well, try to build some chords with "mediant" (3rd="b") and "submediant" (6th="e"). Or you can use some dim chords around G-C-D tones.

Good luck

Current gear: Cubase 4, M-Audio ProjectMix I/O, Dynaudio BM5A, Yamaha P-80, Jackson RR3, NI Komplete 5, EWQL CCC, BOSS GT-10, Superior Drummer 2.0, OKTAVA Mk-319 microphone

Three questions before I resond further:

(1) How are you voicing the Am11 ?

(2) When you type Dsus4/D6, are those used alternately or how exactly.

(3) What sort of style or mood is this song ?

[Don't worry about "writing anything wrong", you're doing fine, I just want to know if I'm approximating what you're playing.]

d=halfnote

Archived