Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sbig stf 8300m Power supply

davidgr1976

The ST 402 power supply is a 1 amp supply.  SBIG state that although it will fit the STF 8300m it can not provide the power needed to run that camera. This suggests it needs far more than 1 amp to run even at a nominal rate. Usually there is a bit of headroom included in  a camera supply so I would guess it will require about 2 amps at least for safe running and more as switching takes place.

Derek

Well, 2A.. Then i don't need a nuclear power station.... But I still consider it very high... Thank you!!

It was on their web site, about the power of the other camera. Please do not expect my estimation to be gospel. It was just my guess at what could be needed. I don't want to be shot for spreading false info. :p

Derek

Mine sucks 0.6A idle without cooling, 2.3A with coooler at 100%. 1.1A with cooler at 50%, which is where it more or less stays at 20° below ambient. I would call it 1A on average.

/per

Mine sucks 0.6A idle without cooling, 2.3A with coooler at 100%. 1.1A with cooler at 50%, which is where it more or less stays at 20° below ambient. I would call it 1A on average.

/per

Hi Per,

What temp do you run the ccd at then? I know that the colder the better or so everyone says to reduce thermal noise. I run at (when I actually get the chance) -20 deg C. the ambient is usually between 6 down to -6 deg C. That ambient is only because of the time of year I get the chance to do it. I can't at home.

Derek

Haha! Well, if you take the camera apart and flip the Peltier element around you get a heater ;)

Mine is a run at -20°C and my ambient is around zero this time of year.

My SBIG is a wreck, though. The CCD temperature reporting went haywire two years ago and the camera has been to SBIG twice and they can't find the problem, even though I told them what I thought it was and that it was intermittent in long periods - like one week good, one week bad. I finally ripped it apart and found the problem within thirty minutes. Three really poor solder joints and a break in the plated hole for the temperature sensor, which unfortunately connects in one of the board layers that is not on the surface. I have to take it apart every few weeks and re-heat the joint as it keeps dropping out on me, so I cannot use the thing for anything of importance. If I had a schematic I could wire it on the surface.

Not impressed with it but won't replace it immediately as I am saving up for a monster camera...

How's this for factory produced soldering?

post-9361-0-36948100-1428301320.jpg

/per

Wires that size should never be soldered onto a board. They should be soldered through it to give some support and the pad should be enlarged specifically to receive the soldering. Very poor show for a company with their reputation to protect!

I can see why you are able to run at 50% if you are lucky enough to have zero degrees, brrrrrrrr. ;)

Derek

Archived