Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Philips Toucam PRO 2 windows 7

Hi Guys/ Girls

I am interested in a  webcam that  somebody is selling, its a  Toucam PRO 2 and firmware flashed to spx900nc windows 7 compatible. 

He is using this with windows 7 32 and i have windows 7 64. Will this work simply by plugging it into my usb in the laptop or would i have to do something with the drivers ? he seems to think it will work just fine.

Now I have used a philips spc900nc webcam simply by plugging it in via usb and letting windows find the drivers. I understand this cam is not compatible with windows 7 etc due to its age but because its flashed would this be ok for windows 7 64 as it works on 32 ?

Thanks peeeps 

post-42186-0-76550300-1433181699_thumb.j

You will need 64-bit drivers to use it on 64-bit windows.

"

If I'm running a 64-bit version of Windows, do I need 64-bit drivers for my devices?

Yes. All hardware devices need 64-bit drivers to work on a 64-bit version of Windows. Drivers designed for 32-bit versions of Windows don't work on computers running 64-bit versions of Windows.

To learn how to check for drivers, see Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly or go to the device manufacturer's website. You can also get information about drivers by going to the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor webpage.

Article ID: MSW700010

"

32-bit applications running in User mode on 64-bit is running under an NT subsystem called WOW64, this is Ring 3 (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384249%28v=vs.85%29.aspx).

Drivers work in Kernel mode, that is Ring 0 and also why drivers can cause a BSOD and why you need to have specific platform drivers.

Rings are protection levels, most OS's nowadays only use TWO, perhaps THREE if using hyper-visors for virtualisation guest isolation (typically referred to as kernel and user mode, or hypervisor modes). They are hardware supported (the CPU has more than two or three protection rings) and software supported and require access protocols to traverse these protection rings.

Either look for a 32-bit installation and run with that, or, find a different camera that is able to work with your platform of choice.

I can't see why it wouldn't work. I have an ancient Sirius webcam for 32 bit XP that I plugged into my 64 bit Win 7 and it just said installing drivers, your device is ready to use.

And my Philips was a lot older than that model. Worked just fine until I fried it. :(

I can't see why it wouldn't work. I have an ancient Sirius webcam for 32 bit XP that I plugged into my 64 bit Win 7 and it just said installing drivers, your device is ready to use.

And my Philips was a lot older than that model. Worked just fine until I fried it. :(

http://www.driverscape.com/download/sirius-usb2.0-camera

According to this there is 64-bit drivers for your camera.  That is what it probably used, pulled in from Windows Update in the background.

If there is 64-bit drivers available, it will work.

Unfortunately one cannot simply browse the Windows Update database and check, and the one linked on the Phillips support site, does not specify 64-bit.  You could down load them and poke about to see if it contains 64-bit versions, you could install them and see what the footprint is and the registry values, that would be an indication of whether it has 64-bit versions or not.

I have an unflashed one running under windows 8.1.  I simply installed the SPC drivers onto Windows and when I plugged it in and it couldn't find the drivers I told it 'Look on my hard drive' then 'let me choose' and I chose the SPC model.

I recommend you get 'wcctl' (webcam control) as it can manage things like exposure and shutter speed - the first time I tried to get a video of Jupiter it showed the planet and its moons as completely white spheres. Changing the shutter speed suddenly brought the bands into view.

I wish it was USB2 though.   :grin:

• 5 months later...

I recommend you get 'wcctl' (webcam control)

I don't really think this is necessary as once you find suitable settings you can save them.  wcctl is then just an unnecessary extra on the screen.

Archived