NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mintron camera for solar?

I have one of these Mintron cameras:

http://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/cameras/astro-video/mintron-astro-video/mintron-12v6hc-ex-mono-camera/

I've used it on deepsky stuff once (bought and not used!) but I just got thinking would it work for solar imaging? It has a larger sensor than my other camera so might get full disc?

Any other uses for it?

Thanks

Adam 

IMG_2740.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

5 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I have a similar Minitron video camera, different model, and have used it successfully for solar on my Lunt LS60.

Dave 

I forget where the leads even go and how to use it!  If you have a minute would you mind looking at the photos below and see if it looks ok? Thanks!

IMG_2742.JPG

IMG_2743.JPG

IMG_2744.JPG

14 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Analog video cables?  Think they'll update the camera for the digital age and go to at least 1080p with an HDMI output?

I don't think such things existed when they were made :grin:

Dave

4 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I don't think such things existed when they were made :grin:

Dave

I'm thinking of something more along the lines of the ZWO ASI185MC.  Would something like it be useful for outreach during public star parties with the image streamed to a monitor?

12 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I'm thinking of something more along the lines of the ZWO ASI185MC.  Would something like it be useful for outreach during public star parties with the image streamed to a monitor?

I've used the Minitron to show folks DSOs and Solar system objects in real time, no idea if the ZWO can do that,  you need a video camera that can stack images on the fly.

Something like this https://www.firstlightoptics.com/atik-cameras/atik-infinity-monocolour-video-astronomy-guiding-imaging-camera.html

Dave

7 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I've used the Minitron to show folks DSOs and Solar system objects in real time, no idea if the ZWO can do that,  you need a video camera that can stack images on the fly.

Dave

Yeah, probably need to run it through a software stack on a laptop first.  I saw a guy doing 10 minute stacks of nebula with a similar camera at a party last summer with his laptop.  For solar system objects, you should need only seconds to collect and display an image.

Sorry for dragging this thread off topic, but I was curious.

Archived