Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Two Experiments with the ZWO ASI120MC

Stub Mandrel

I tried a couple of experiments after finishing with Jupiter last night! I took out the barlow and used the 120MCd direct in my 150PL.

First, a 1000 frame video of the 'double double' in Lyra, they were resolved completely even in single frames. After stacking then the lightest touch of sharpening (LR, gaussian, kernel 1, strength 1. 10 iterations) I got this:

5afac927ec13a_DoubleDouble.png.41a0343ef2906326235f4539e227aab3.png

Very nicely separated

2.3"

image.png.17829d40df810d95cecf0e56f16b4f8c.png

2.6"

image.png.60dd489e04f5ff8158b34691ade48174.png

Then M57, a stack of all of 100 8-second frames. The colour is very poor, I should have reduced the gain and used longer exposures. Not brilliant but shows the potential to use this camera for galaxies if I use it with the 130P-DS for longer, guided shots. Might try some LRGB galaxies with the mono touptek and the 130P-DS as well, come cooler weather.

M57.thumb.png.e53b21565fb2074b7cbbb3c6a1eba2ed.png

Here is my M57 with similar camera - same sensor if I'm not mistaken - QHY5LIIc. One of my first DSO images, so heavily processed (lot of denoise and sharpening, due to lack of experience in processing at the time, and imaging in general).

M57.png

It certainly shows the potential of such cameras on small targets. I can't remember capture details, but I think it totals to about 1h or less of exposure and single subs must have been 15s or less. Image shows (very poorly) spiral galaxy near by (top right corner). This was with 130 F/7 scope on Eq2 mount.

I think using 130PDS and longer total imaging time will bring in some very interesting images.

1 hour ago, vlaiv said:

Here is my M57 with similar camera - same sensor if I'm not mistaken - QHY5LIIc. One of my first DSO images, so heavily processed (lot of denoise and sharpening, due to lack of experience in processing at the time, and imaging in general).

It certainly shows the potential of such cameras on small targets. I can't remember capture details, but I think it totals to about 1h or less of exposure and single subs must have been 15s or less. Image shows (very poorly) spiral galaxy near by (top right corner). This was with 130 F/7 scope on Eq2 mount.

I think using 130PDS and longer total imaging time will bring in some very interesting images.

That's nice Vlaiv, I'm sure mine could be much better with lower gain (I had to have it high for Jupiter to get the exposures down to 6.2ms to beat the seeing) and longer exposures, I can go up to 30s or more with the 150PL if I'm prepared to lose a few subs.

I'm sure it can equal or better what I've got with my DSLR if I get it right:

M57.thumb.png.284d68e31d4ea71efef5fd1cdab6160a.png

56 minutes ago, Rodd said:

You've done well for a smallish foal length.

I shouted at my scope until I was a little hoarse. :headbang:

Next time I'm set up with the x3 barlow for 3600mm I'll have another go to see if they will separate further or try some closer pairs, I should be able to achieve 0.8 arc second splits.

7 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I shouted at my scope until I was a little hoarse. :headbang:

Next time I'm set up with the x3 barlow for 3600mm I'll have another go to see if they will separate further or try some closer pairs, I should be able to chieve 0.8 arc second splits.

Binaries/multiples is a whole thing in itself--one that I have not delved into yet.  But it is intriguing.  Good seeing is king here--like planetary.  In fact, lucky imaging techniques can be fruitful, especially when you are looking for real close splits.

Rodd 

17 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Good seeing is king here--like planetary. 

Much helped by higher elevations!

The seeing last night went between jelly and almost still, most of the time it was in the middle but I got some detail out of Jupiter in RGB but I suspect my (unprocessed) OSC shots may benefit from better seeing.

:icon_biggrin:

• 2 months later...

Archived