NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Uv/ ir cut filter

geordie85

I've been imaging with a qhy183c camera for a few months now and recently came across a post on here that was directed at a member using a OSC CMOS camera from asi that said something along the lines of "because your using a OSC camera, you'll need to use a uv/ ir cut filter". 

It was said that it will makes stars sharper. I do notice a slight bloating to my stars which has lead me to wonder maybe I should be using a uv/ ir cut filter. I don't use a light pollution filter as i sold my idas a short while back (which I do regret) so my question is, do I need one? 

9 hours ago, geordie85 said:

I've been imaging with a qhy183c camera for a few months now and recently came across a post on here that was directed at a member using a OSC CMOS camera from asi that said something along the lines of "because your using a OSC camera, you'll need to use a uv/ ir cut filter". 

It was said that it will makes stars sharper. I do notice a slight bloating to my stars which has lead me to wonder maybe I should be using a uv/ ir cut filter. I don't use a light pollution filter as i sold my idas a short while back (which I do regret) so my question is, do I need one? 

Its actually the other way around OSC tends to come with a UV/IR cut and mono tends to have a clear sensor window.

Bloating will be your optics or using the camera at too high a gain. 

10 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

I think it normally comes with a uv/ir blocking glass window but can optionally be fitted with AR glass that passes uv/ir. If you bought it in its standard form, then no worries.

Louise

Thank you. You just saved me some money. 

1 hour ago, Adam J said:

Its actually the other way around OSC tends to come with a UV/IR cut and mono tends to have a clear sensor window.

Bloating will be your optics or using the camera at too high a gain. 

To be fair I may be the cause of bloating by too aggressively pushing my data. I set gain to 11 and offset to 76.

I believe the qhy183c sensor glass is AR but the camera's window is IR cut, in common with other osc. So you shouldn't need an additional filter. If you use a lp filter that will likely also be a UV/IR cut filter anyway The 183c does have a very high QE - about 83% (higher than most guide cameras) so exposures need to be short.

Hth

Louise

I must say I'm still rather confused by it all and the FAQ in the online manual doesn't help matters much so I emailed Bern at modern astronomy, but he doesn't know either. Although he did tell me how to test it so I'll try and figure it out tonight. 

Here's a screenshot from the I line manual. 

Screenshot_20180920-152329.png

2 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

I believe the qhy183c sensor glass is AR but the camera's window is IR cut, in common with other osc. So you shouldn't need an additional filter. If you use a lp filter that will likely also be a UV/IR cut filter anyway The 183c does have a very high QE - about 83% (higher than most guide cameras) so exposures need to be short.

Hth

Louise

I'm not using any filters at the moment since I've only been using a maximum of 120 second exposures. 

I did do 1 300 second exposure at the end of an imaging session the other night to see what the result would be and my histogram was still on the left hand side. 

After a quick email conversation with Bern at modern astronomy I've just taken 2x 5 second subs. The first is without the remote and the second is with the remote active. 

The sub with the remote on is definitely brighter than without. 

I've also added a 120 sub unstretched. 

no.png

yes.png

single 2 mins.png

Archived