NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IR Cut filters

Star Struck

This could be a dumb question, but here goes anyway.

I need to use an IR cut filter with my ZWO mono camera as it does not have one built in.

The only IR cut filter I currently own is a Baader Neodymium and IR cut filter.

Will this be suitable or do I need to buy a  Baader UV/IR Cut / L-Filter?

I plan to use a filter for both lunar and white light solar imaging.

Tony

If your only taking mono (luminance) images then I would have thought the Neodymium would be fine to use. Here are the responses of the two. The UV-IR rejection of both of them is similar, the Neodymium cuts off at 700nm while the UV-IR cut off is around 680nm. The Neodymium is a light pollution filter too so also cuts a lot of yellow and some green. This would give quite a severe colour cast to RGB images but have little to no effect on luminance images of the Sun and Moon as far as I can see. :smile:

Neodymium

moon-skyglow-wavelength.jpg.5331dc9d0d9c08488b1b41cabf78852c.jpg

UV-IR Cut

baader-uv-ir-cut-l-filter-36mm-670.jpg.7fa7489b6d95bdbe5c54c1d6fb54b8e6.jpg

Alan

21 hours ago, symmetal said:

If your only taking mono (luminance) images then I would have thought the Neodymium would be fine to use. Here are the responses of the two. The UV-IR rejection of both of them is similar, the Neodymium cuts off at 700nm while the UV-IR cut off is around 680nm. The Neodymium is a light pollution filter too so also cuts a lot of yellow and some green. This would give quite a severe colour cast to RGB images but have little to no effect on luminance images of the Sun and Moon as far as I can see. :smile:

Neodymium

moon-skyglow-wavelength.jpg.5331dc9d0d9c08488b1b41cabf78852c.jpg

UV-IR Cut

baader-uv-ir-cut-l-filter-36mm-670.jpg.7fa7489b6d95bdbe5c54c1d6fb54b8e6.jpg

Alan

With this filter cutting some green, would this be a better option for OSC cameras as opposed to a dedicated LPS like the idas d2? 

38 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

With this filter cutting some green, would this be a better option for OSC cameras as opposed to a dedicated LPS like the idas d2? 

I don't use light pollution filters so can't advise. One review on FLO of the Neodymium said they couldn't correct the colour cast when used for RGB imaging. It's mainly intended for visual I believe. Hopefully someone else can offer some help.  

visible-a.png.5d46b3ddef6b154611252a64d417ee37.png

idas_d2_lps_transmission_graph.jpg.c89af6119cc6cfc76cf6d743f70f3dae.jpg

Alan

Archived