Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter's backside....!

Kokatha man

A mate (AA'er) reckons this view of Jove is his backside :p:):eek: without the GRS but I still think it important to image - as well as having its' own virtues.

I've started supplying my Jupiter images to PVOL and obviously the various facets of Joop other than the GRS perspectives are important too for recording atmospherics etc....this was taken in the early hours of Friday morning here in South OZ (actually at about 7 minutes past midnight local time) and is the first one procesed of about 3 dozen avi's that I now have to process.....:D:)

Thanks for looking.....:)

post-16205-133877391519_thumb.jpg

Them dbk's are bad ***. did you use an ir filter? i was thinking about getting one. not sure if to get a dbk or dfk.

Hi TNG - I use an Astronomik UV-IR Block "L-Filter" in front of the DBK sensor.....I'm a bit of an individual who rejects (what I preceive as) a lot of illogical kant on the subject of imaging and the "superiority" of certain cameras over others.....particularly mono Vs osc units.....

This is only my own opinion I must repeat, and it is raised as an elementof the logic/rationale I apply to my imaging and to your comments.....not something intended to be contentious for the sake of such but (hopefully) to stop people parrotting poorly-grounded presumptions: I believe my images attest to the soundness of my "system".....especially when you consider that this is "only" a C11.

Everything needs to be qualified/quantified with each image taken, and the far better placement/elevation etc of Jupiter here in Oz is an undeniable factor in comparing them to hi-res imaging from up your way at the moment.....but re your inferred interest, the osc DBK's may have a "hard-wired" bayer matrix of 50% Green, 25% Red and 25% Blue as their sensor configuration BUT all those channels can run for up to 3X longer than the single mono sensor with filters of the DMK.....and as we're stacking images/frames the green ends up significantly stronger with the osc - and the Red and Blue much less "weakened" in comparison to the mono data.....of course, if colour wasn't a requirement you could run the DMK as a mono and get much superior resolution....!:):eek::)

ps: apart from the seeing being "not the best" with this image I set the gain a little too high imo whch gives the slight "burn" in the centre of the EZ - very common in hi-res images but one where I should have modified the gain slightly, similar to my last Joop featuring the GRS.....:p

That's a really great image. There is nothing wrong with your set-up, technique or processing to get such detail. Well done. Images like this give us something to aspire to. Well done.

We can get mono to only half not a third of the capture time per channel by capturing red and blue only. The green can be synthesised from the red and blue.

regards

Peter

That's a really great image. There is nothing wrong with your set-up, technique or processing to get such detail. Well done. Images like this give us something to aspire to. Well done.

We can get mono to only half not a third of the capture time per channel by capturing red and blue only. The green can be synthesised from the red and blue.

regards

Peter

Yes, that is quite true Peter; which does advantage the mono cameras a bit more although I have only seen a coupe of examples of hi-res images where the green is synthisised.....and have not really the awareness nor the experience to quantify the relative effectiveness of this method vis a vis RGB filters with mono or osc units.....:)

Apart from giving TNG my perspective on the DBK's I was really poimting out that it is dangerous to just accept "common rote" utterances that seem to become canon law (hey - what's new in the world!!!) :rolleyes:;):D

My propensity to question a lot of perceived wisdom has given me strife all my life.....but I'd have had it no other way...!!:):eek::evil6::D:headbang:

But thanks for making that particular point - I'll follow it up with some reading/investigating and although it won't make me change my gear and modus operandi in the forseeable future it might help me acquire a bit of incidental info that'll help me improve.....which I hope to do in all things up untill the moment my mind packs up - the "use it or lose it" principal....!:)

regards

Peter

I would expect that with the short time availabe for a total exposure, befort the planets rotation caused blurring, that at least some if not a significant portion of that time would be used up changing filters and refocusing :)

Hi KM,

Brilliant image.. but how do you do it?

I've just acquired a dbk21 which I use on a 10" newt. Got the set up pdf from Imaging Source website and it seems to work but when I try and sharpen the debayered colour image in R4 or R5 all I seem to do is increase the appearance of the bayer matrix and not sharpen the image. :)

I wonder if you could spare a few minutes to offer some advice/tips/tricks to a novice on how to get the best from this camera?

Many thanks in advance for your time.

Alan

Archived