Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What webcam's are good for imaging?

Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered before... but I'd like some guidance on buying a webcam. The ultimate goal is planetary imaging.

I've heard the SPC900 is a good one, but have struggled to any available on ebay etc.

Are there any others which are also good performers and are still easy to adapt.

Thanks!

the spc 900 is a good camera but what makes it good is the image chip it has a ccd chip instead of the cmos chip fitted to many webcams, so look for cameras with the ccd chip installed,

the spc 900 do appear every now and again on the for sale section around £60 upwards

The Neximage is basically the same as the SPC900 but is designed for the job.

I've got an SPC900 webcam, you can get them on eBay for £60 upwards, then fit a nose piece for £20.

I also got a Neximage planetary camera for £80 off eBay. For the money I'd go with the Neximage because there is no messing about.

Either camera can be modded for long(er) exposures if you want to later. You can then have a go at some DSO and see if you like that.

Webcams with CCD:

Logitech QuickCam Pro 3000

I-Tec iCam Tracer

3Com HomeConnect PC digital camera (LZ24BP)

Philips Vesta (PCVC 675K)

Philips Vesta Pro (PCVC 680K)

Philips Vesta Scan (PCVC 690K)

Orange Micro iBOT Pro

Creative Live Ultra

Philips ToUcam Pro II (PCVC-840K)

Philips ToUcam Pro 3D (PCVC-750K)

Creative WebCam NX Ultra

Unibrain Fire-i Digital Camera

Philips SPC900NC

Philips SPC880NC

Philips ToUcam Pro (PCVC-740K)