.25 Wadcutters… Unicorn Meat?

Given the shot strings people have posted with their .22 GK1s, and being an owner of a .25, I was hoping I could find some light weight wadcutters for target shooting. Thing is… I literally can’t find them ANYWHERE! I’m amazed this seems to not be a thing.

Closest I could find are the following-

H&N Crow Magnum .25 Cal, 26.24 gr - 150 ct
IMG_7433.jpeg

JTS Dead Center Precision Semi-Domed Pellets Blister Pack .25 cal, 29.32gr - 150ct
Image.png

Rifle Sport Pellets, .25cal, 26.4gr, Round Nose - 150ct
Image_1.png

RWS Super H Point .25 (6.35mm)
IMG_7437.jpeg

Skenco Ultrashock .25 (6.35mm)
Image_2.png

Bisley Pest Control .25 (6.35mm)
Image_3.png

But nothing that compares to this 😭
Image_4.png

Does anyone know of a .25 wadcutter (preferably as light as possible)? The main thing I’m looking for is that ideal hole punch design along with it being as light as possible so I can turn down the GK1 to maximize shot count.

Thank you in advance, hope everyone is having a great week : )

H&N might of made them for Beeman back in the day - At least 15 years ago.
Same with White Rhino pellets. 19 - 20gr. I can't remember if they were domed, but they were light. I have a number of these tins - green label. Tried them in a couple HW guns - awful:

Or you can invest $400 or more to get started in making your own .25 wadcutter pellets:

Reactions: Bernie7
H&N might of made them for Beeman back in the day - At least 15 years ago.
Same with White Rhino pellets. 19 - 20gr. I can't remember if they were domed, but they were light. I have a number of these tins - green label. Tried them in a couple HW guns - awful:

Or you can invest $400 or more to get started in making your own .25 wadcutter pellets:

Interesting, do you have any pics of the White Rhinos?

Also I thought about the press route but not really for myself to do but instead to purchase the mold for someone in the community.

Thank you you for your contribution

Maybe I can find some this weekend at my parent's house. I know I don't have any around here.
Around that time the Diana domed .25 pellets were very popular. I know I have those as well. Both are hard to find now.

For some reason I thought H&N made .25 wadcutters. Time to dig through the mountain of pellets...

Reactions: Bernie7
Predator GTO unleaded pellets weigh in at 16.5 grains but aren't wadcutters. They ARE kinda pricey though, currently around $0.13 each. In the end buying a .177 to target shoot with might be worth it.
That’s what I was shooting at New England Airgun as their range is lead free and definitely got great shot count. Also for me my eyesight isn’t great so I think having the larger holes of a .25 is helpful but I’ll definitely have an order in for .177 when the time comes

I can't think of why one would want a .25 wadcutter besides the novelty. For target shooting, .177 is so much cheaper and for limited range hunting a .25 ball (#3 buckshot) would be as light as a wadcutter and have even less downrange flight. .25 wadcutter is truly a unicorn.
Agreed it’s definitely cheaper but with the .25 GK1 I shoot at about ~20ft with a red (technically green) dot freehand and it’s already hard enough to see the poi I think I’d undoubtedly need magnification. Also after reading an article on this forum where someone did an extremely in depth breakdown for desired effect hunting, it seems like the tissue damage generated from the larger meplat (hope I’m using the correct terminology) combined with the faster decrease in speed over a longer distance would make this a great short range vermin hunting round. Would also have a decreased likelihood of over penetration and/or dangers of overshooting as you mentioned @Berserkeley Mike. I suppose it’s possible I’d have an easier time seeing the impact of a .177 as close shots would be easier to distinguish and I could just move the target in.

Regardless, you raise some good points @Berserkeley Mike

Btw to the writer of the article I apologize I didn’t remember your name but you did a fantastic job.

I can't think of why one would want a .25 wadcutter besides the novelty. For target shooting, .177 is so much cheaper and for limited range hunting a .25 ball (#3 buckshot) would be as light as a wadcutter and have even less downrange flight. .25 wadcutter is truly a unicorn.
My only desire to try them is for pesting rats inside of 25 yards. I do have wadcutters for my 177 and 22 that deliver a good thwack when hitting them, but I’d like to hear/see what a 25 can do.

My only desire to try them is for pesting rats inside of 25 yards. I do have wadcutters for my 177 and 22 that deliver a good thwack when hitting them, but I’d like to hear/see what a 25 can do.
Wouldn't we all, but as caliber and weight increases, so does that down-range carry. Maybe try flipping a .25 pellet around and shoot it backwards? The aerodynamics might be so bad it limits flight downrange. That's the "hillbilly hollowpoint": shooting the pellet backwards so the skirt expands when it hits. Many pellets actually shoot OK that way at short range.
Or the 0.25 ball ammo. At least you can find it (#3 buckshot - pick a good grade with uniform spheres). I've tried 0.30 ball from that Hatsan breakbarrel and it grouped "one hole" at 10m and around 2" at 25 yards, which was about as well as I could shoot pellets from that gun on that day. Spheres are relatively light for caliber and the drag through air (or rat) is very high.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 450BM and Bernie7
Wouldn't we all, but as caliber and weight increases, so does that down-range carry. Maybe try flipping a .25 pellet around and shoot it backwards? The aerodynamics might be so bad it limits flight downrange. That's the "hillbilly hollowpoint": shooting the pellet backwards so the skirt expands when it hits. Many pellets actually shoot OK that way at short range.
Or the 0.25 ball ammo. At least you can find it (#3 buckshot - pick a good grade with uniform spheres). I've tried 0.30 ball from that Hatsan breakbarrel and it grouped "one hole" at 10m and around 2" at 25 yards, which was about as well as I could shoot pellets from that gun on that day. Spheres are relatively light for caliber and the drag through air (or rat) is very high.
Holy smokes! I never even considered that. I wonder if guns that fire through the mag would face an additional issue where the skirt would be damaged due to the skirt diameter generally exceeding the bore diameter when it transitions from the mag to barrel. Also I know in the article he said they don’t seem to be turning around but everything I know about physics is telling me this shouldn’t work and it should start tumbling but I’m not an expert.

Regarding the ball ammo, it’s an interesting idea but my understanding is the ballistic/aerodynamic properties of a sphere without some form of face patterning like the variety found in sports (soccer, golf, etc) cause unpredictable flight paths that wouldn’t be conducive to target shooting. I’ve never actually cut open a shotgun shell but I always thought they were perfect spheres as the intent was for it to spread. I wonder if rifling provides the necessary stability to overcome the inherent instability, seems like your breakbarrel experience proves the point.

Thank you for sharing that article!

We produced the Beeman "H&N Match" in .177, .20 and .22. I am not aware of a .25 version.
And a moment later I stumble upon the artwork for the Beeman H&N Match .25 labels...:rolleyes: Production must have stopped between 2009 and 2011, and low demand was certainly the reason.