Narrowband Filter Shootout - Chroma 3nm vs Astronomik 6nm Generic equipment discussions · Rouz Astro · ... · 15 · 1608 · 1

Rouzbeh 8.40
· 
·  8 likes
I tested these side by side and posted a review:

LINK:

https://astrogeartoday.com/narrowband-filter-shootout-chroma-3nm-vs-astronomik-6nm/

Gamaholjad 3.31
· 
·  1 like
Great writeup.
Rouzbeh 8.40
· 
·  1 like
Great writeup.

Thanks, hope it was useful.

CS

Rouz
rockstarbill 11.02
· 
·  3 likes
Great write-up Rouz! Like always.

I have used the MaxFR 6nm filters and the Chroma 3nm filters, and my experience largely matches yours. Both are excellent! The 6nm bandpass of the Astronomik HA will allow NII emission in the data, while the 3nm Chroma will block it. That is something you might want to add to this for the reader.

On fast systems, the Astronomik's are excellent and for the price, I could not bring myself to get the fast version of the Chroma filters. I have not been disappointed at all though. I think it's fair to say the Astronomik filters are very cost effective, and do not compromise on performance in terms of transmission and being halo free. When people ask me these days (with the current prices) which filters I would recommend, I usually tell them to get the Astronomik set due to the significant difference in price.

Either way though, both brands of filters are excellent performers.

Here are some master samples from the 6nm Astronomik MaxFR on the E160ED (note these are processed):

HA - 12.5 Hours:  Elephant Trunk Nebula - HA ( Bill Long ) - AstroBin

OIII - 29.25 Hours: IC1396 - in OIII Only ( Bill Long ) - AstroBin

SII - 23.9 Hours: IC1396 - SII Only ( Bill Long ) - AstroBin

Combined: IC 1396: Emission Nebula in Cepheus ( Bill Long ) - AstroBin
Edited ...
Rouzbeh 8.40
· 
·  1 like
Thank you for the feedback Bill, I'm glad you liked the review.
Yes, very good point about the NII data, I wasn't able to test it here so didn't include that but I'm sure the 6nm will pass that which will come in hand for some planetary nebulae.

The value for money is great, I didn't face any quality issues either.

Your images are beautiful, so much depth! The fast focal ratio is working well and yes, these filters play well with those ratios.
I recently recommended them for a client who I set up a RASA scope.

CS
Rouz
Overcast_Observatory 20.43
· 
·  3 likes
I think if I was to buy another set of filters I would go with the Astronomik MaxFR series.  While a tighter bandpass is preferred for most scopes, the value proposition is hard to ignore.  6nm isnt exactly super wide, and the fact that they produce aberration free images (with respect to potential filter issues) is really the most important thing IMO.  With the really high costs of Astrodon and higher yet Chroma, these MaxFR should be seriously considered.  I'm using 5nm on my Astrodons now (too cheap to buy 3nm) so I doubt I would miss the additional 1nm of bandpass restriction. 

It's great to see a really high quality, yet affordable option out there.  I also like supporting Gerd Neumann as a business.
Rouzbeh 8.40
· 
Hi Chris,
Yes the value is excellent.
As for 5nm vs 6nm I don't think it would be detectable, at least not visually.

I see your avatar is an Epsilon, for those my guess the Maxfr would be the best bet.

CS
Rouz
Overcast_Observatory 20.43
· 
·  1 like
Hi Chris,

I see your avatar is an Epsilon, for those my guess the Maxfr would be the best bet.

CS
Rouz

Thanks Roez.  Yes, that is correct.  I'm dialing in the Epsi now.  I have the 5nm already, but the MaxFR is on my list for a future need.  Thanks for the comparison.
battleriverobservatory 6.06
· 
Thanks for doing this, would like to see more filters compared in identical settings. I have been using the same optolong filters since day one and have gotten a ton of new equipment, but have a hard time justifying replacing the filters without concrete data that can prove something is really better. Especially in my sky which is at the high end of b2 to low end of b3.
Reg_00 8.02
· 
·  3 likes
Nice write up. The Astronomik 6nm were my first NB filter. I eventually switched to Chroma 3nm but never felt they were worth the cost.
Rouzbeh 8.40
· 
Hi Chris,

CS
Rouz

Thanks Roez.  Yes, that is correct.  I'm dialing in the Epsi now.  I have the 5nm already, but the MaxFR is on my list for a future need.  Thanks for the comparison.

**Best of luck Chris, looking forward to the images to come.
Rouzbeh 8.40
· 
Reg Pratt:
Nice write up. The Astronomik 6nm were my first NB filter. I eventually switched to Chroma 3nm but never felt they were worth the cost.

*** Thank you for the feedback. I suppose it also depends on the light pollution at your site but overall not a world apart!

Rouz
jego 2.41
· 
Hi Rouz,

This site is down and appears to have gone out of business. Your tests/reviews are usually really informative, so I would love to see the results if you still have it available elsewhere.

I have preferred the results of a 3nm vs 5nm in previous chroma vs chroma tests that I have seen, but buying a whole new set of fast chromas for the f/3.3 e-160ed is a difficult proposition. There is the issue of halos and aberrations, but also SNR.
Rouzbeh 8.40
· 
Hi Rouz,

This site is down and appears to have gone out of business. Your tests/reviews are usually really informative, so I would love to see the results if you still have it available elsewhere.

I have preferred the results of a 3nm vs 5nm in previous chroma vs chroma tests that I have seen, but buying a whole new set of fast chromas for the f/3.3 e-160ed is a difficult proposition. There is the issue of halos and aberrations, but also SNR.

Hi Jego,

Yes, Astro Gear Today has down unfortunately.
However, I've added all the articles to my own site (RouzAstro.com):

https://rouzastro.com/reviews/

Also, Rouz Astro is now an authorized Astronomik after working with them on several tests and reviews.
I was quite happy with the results and prices.

Hope that is helpful.

CS
Rouz
yobbo89 0.00
· 
Rouz Astro:
Hi Rouz,

Hi Jego,

Yes, Astro Gear Today has down unfortunately.
However, I've added all the articles to my own site (RouzAstro.com):

https://rouzastro.com/reviews/

Also, Rouz Astro is now an authorized Astronomik after working with them on several tests and reviews.
I was quite happy with the results and prices.

Hope that is helpful.

CS
Rouz

nice review, i went with chroma and just so much better then any budget filter (internal reflections are gone!), currently looking at the Antlia filters for my second rig , i need to budget a little more, those 2'' chromas are expensive!
Krizan 5.73
· 
Rouz, thanks for this excellent review. I use the Astronomik MaxFR 6nm Ha & SII.  For OIII, I use the Chroma fast f3 version. I image with a FSQ106ED  mostly at F3.6 & a AP130GTX at F4.5.  I went with the Chroma fast F3 for OIII because I bought a used Officina Stellare RH200 F3, that I have yet to images with. Also my backyard is Bortle7. 

Imaging with Astrodon 5nm filters, I saw a significant background noise reduction when I moved to 3nm on the OIII.  I have never imaged with Ha or SII 3nm filters.

Like you, I have seen undetectable halos with the Astronomik or Chroma filters. I think the difference your review showed between the two brands may have more to do 6nm vs. 3nm.  But clearly demonstrated thr quality of the Astronomik filters.

I was particularly interested in the OIII results. My Chroma OIII is significantly at different focus than the Astronomik filters due to being thicker. I have contemplated getting the Astonomik MaxFR OIII 6nm for convenience of focusing.   Your review clearly demonstrated a significant brighter OIII background from the Astronomik 6nm vs. the Chroma 3nm.  I am assuming that would also result in higher background noise and less contrast.  Your 1review has helped me solve a dilemma. I will stay with the Chroma fast F3 OIII.

Thanks, Lynn K.

Register or login to create to post a reply.