Asus TUSL2-C Ost recapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus TUSL2-C Ost recapping

This board was completely stable but i was curious about the Ost RLS 1000uf 6.3v on the board. I have a few CUSL2 in the office with the same issue and have seen other asus boards also where the ost appear to be doing a small bit of bulging around the vents. It looks as if they have been stamped too hard but I am not sure.

actually it would be interesting at this point to compare the TUSL2 to a CUSL2 shown below to see if there are any apparent differences. It appears there is more capacitance on the CUSL2 but actually all the large values are 1500uf 6.3v, there are no 3300uf like on the TUSL2

This CUSL-2 has all Rubycon caps except for one Sanyo. It is my favourite one. unfortunately it has a crappy ps/2 problem which i cant figure out.

Anyway back to the TUSL-2, the board has quite a selection of good capacitors on it so i decided to recap the ost since i have some caps and be sure that the board will continue to provide good service. It currently has a 1200 tualatin on it therefore is a nice machine, running fedora 4.2.

you can see the cap on the right is not bulging, however the one on the left is.

the remainder of the Ost RLS caps were all showing this bulging. It is curious.

the Ost RLS were tested with an ESR meter following removal from the board and are (2 pieces) 0.03ohm, (9 pieces) 0.04ohm, (1 piece) 0.05ohm. Which is not bad at all.

for the recapping i used Rubycon MCZ 1200uf 6.3v.

this is another Asus where the board markings are opposite for the polarity of the caps.

Attached Files
    Last edited by willawake; 04-19-2006, 02:16 AM.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Re: Asus TUSL2-C Ost recapping

Thanks for the test The ESR is good so caps with vents looking like that are probably not bad.

Comment

Givin that they test good. My guess would be doubled sheets of aluminum when through the stamping machine or disks did not clear, causing a doubling up. They look like they were struck for all they were worth, anymore would have cut them.

Comment

Good to know those are probably safe. Got some caps looking like that myself, I've been watching them...

Thanks for the info, willawake!
        You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
        Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

this board now recapped further with what i had. the 1500 6.3 with 2200 10v and the 3000 6.3 with same. now it is all rubycon mcz and my new office computer

damn i wish this board would take 1gb

i got one of these cases also https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1928
          but in white though. i will get some nasty 120mm fans cos there is so much noise from the road who cares

i had a big problem with my office 866 cusl2 and sil ata card, my several hdds were making errors and not responding after about 2 years of working fine. wierd shit. so i start swapping components, i replace the zalman active psu with a forton bluestorm. same thing. i replace ata card same thing. i get new hdds same thing. then a day later it was not doing it. so anyway i replace with the tusl2 instead on a clean install and i will check and recap the cusl2 to see what is up.
          Last edited by willawake; 10-12-2006, 04:11 PM.

Comment

I've seen bulging caps before, but never 'depressed' caps! It looks like either the vent stamper hit the cap too hard (like Galvanized said), or something damaged them in transit.

You'd think that depressed caps would have similar problems as bulging caps, given that the electrolyte and/or foil would be compressed. But if they tested fine for ESR, there's nothing to worry about - right?

Someone should try deliberately pushing the top of a cap so that it collapses, and seeing how far you can go before the ESR changes
            You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

i have seen it quite a bit. thats why i was interested in testing them. there is also capacitance to test which i cant but i would have expected at least some of a group of bulging caps to show raised esr which these didnt.

i checked out the psu that came with the case today which is the same as the ISO psu in my case review linked above. Interestingly it came with all Fuhjyyu caps this time not Koshin like on the other one. not that i really care though cos i will probably sell it to a cheap ass client.

Comment

Someone should try deliberately pushing the top of a cap so that it collapses, and seeing how far you can go before the ESR changes
                this can be arranged

Comment

I have a TUSL2-C mobo that don't post when power up ..only fan is spinning
                  but when i touch the clock controller chip it's hot ..is it this chip that cause
                  the mobo stop posting ?
                  INTEL CORE2DUO E6600 LGA775 + Cooler Master Hyper L3
                  Asus P5W DH Deluxe (Wireless edition)
                  2Gb Kingston DDR2 800
                  Asus Xtreme N7600gs 256Mb Silencer PCI-E
                  80Gb WD 7200 SATA + 40Gb Maxtor 7200 x 2 +
                  80 Gb Seagate 3.5'' external HDD
                  HL-DT-ST DVD rom GDR8163B
                  HL-DT-ST DVD Ram GSA-4167B
                  20'' Dell FPM LCD
                  Cooler Master Centurion 5 + Acbel 450w with Active PFC
                  Philips A2.610 5.1 speaker +
                  Altec Lensing AHS30

Comment

Clock generators usually heat up when working.

Comment

what is the history of that board? did you receive it not working?

i think the caps will be ok. check for trace damage especially around the cpu clip area.

Comment

Working...
                      X