Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 D0 post code

Hi all!
    Recently I picked up this Z97 Gaming 5 that's not posting with error code D0 (or 00, but it doesn't appear in the manual) for like 20€.
    It's a common error when BIOS flash fails (or for DOA boards..), so, since MSI has a header for SPI, it's dead easy to flash the correct image:

..Even if you don't have a 2mm pitch header:

Soo, I downloaded the last BIOS image from MSI support, fired up flashrom on my Raspberry Pi 3 aaand... No luck.
    The original ROM that was inside the flash memory is a 1.B image, but it's quite different from the 1.B image downloaded from MSI support if you open it with UEFITool, so I don't really know if I should do something else before flashing the ROM file in the motherboard. I've attached the two files if someone wants to have a look at them.
    I've dismantled every heatsink and cleaned the entire board, and visually the only thing that doesn't seem so good is this:

So someone tightened up too much the heatsink, and that copper plane is VccIn...
    However VccIn is present when the board is powered up (1.75V more or less). Vcore and Vring are missing.
    No shorted caps found and all the power phases seems intact.
    Tested using a Pentium G3258 and an i7-4690, same result.

Anyone have a clue on this?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Conti93; 11-13-2016, 06:28 PM.

Re: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 D0 post code

In modern intel platforms the downloaded bios is different to the eeprom content, you need a bios dump.

The bios you downloaded is compressed or maybe encrypted, not to mention that the SPI bus is connected to many devices and you may be unable to flash the eeprom, the best option is to remove the chip and use a external programmer.
    Last edited by cpt.charlie; 11-14-2016, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cpt.charlie View Post
      In modern intel platforms the downloaded bios is different to the eeprom content, you need a bios dump.

The bios you downloaded is compressed or maybe encrypted, not to mention that the SPI bus is connected to many devices and you may be unable to flash the eeprom, the best option is to remove the chip and use a external programmer.
      That's strange, since the dimension of the downloaded file matches exactly the flash memory. And the header is directly connected to the winbond 25Q64FVSFIQ, so I'm sure I'm programming the right chip
      It's strange, because VccIn is there, so externals VRMs are working, however there's no Vcore (Haswell has the voltage regulator for Vcore in the CPU, and I know that the two CPUs I have are good) and it's not powering on.
      I managed to talk to the previous owner and it was the second motherboard that stopped working with his previus Corsair CS that was RMAed for this reason, sooo probably something is completely screwed and I should just simply trash this MB...

Comment

Some manufacturers still provide the file that is directly written to the eeprom, it may be your case, however you should consider that your D0 error code may not be a bios related problem, a bad cpu or ram contact, a missing signal......

Try to verify the content of the bios chip, make a cmos reset and inspect carefully the cpu and ram contacts.

Comment

I have same code, also got no vcore. I seem to be missing a resistor

Anyone have a clue what value?
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X