•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Svbony OIII filter in 2" - is it worth it?

Accessories Astrophotography DSO Equipment Filters
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Skywatcher Simon

Skywatcher Simon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hamburg

Posted 27 August 2021 - 09:01 AM

Hey guys,

I got the narrowband OIII filter from Svbony in 2" and would like to tell you what I think of it.

The filter is available directly from Svbony for US $ 69.99
https://www.svbony.com/2-inch-SV115/

I was already enthusiastic about the Baader UHC-S filter and I wanted to try out the OIII filter. Unfortunately, the Baader OIII was a bit too expensive for me. (180,– €) 

Since I have had the best experience with Svbony, I dared to order their OIII model.

The filter comes in a solid plastic box that can be opened easily and does not hide any smelling plastic odor. smile.gif

Svbony_OIII_03.jpg

The filter is solidly processed and has a pleasant feel.

Svbony_OIII_04_.jpg

The milled thread is neatly processed and can be easily screwed on an eyepiece or star diagonal.

Svbony_OIII_01.jpg

Svbony_OIII_02.jpg

Looking through the OIII filter during the day, you discover a strong darkening of the view. I held the filter in front of the camera and photographed the tortilla dip.

Svbony_OIII_05.jpg

At night, the narrowband filter darkens the night sky properly. Stronger than the broadband Baader UHC-S filter. On the ring nebula and the dumbbell nebula,

I even noticed an increase in contrast compared to the Baader UHC-S filter. (tested on Svbony SV503 102/714 ED and Sky-Watcher 10" Flextube Newton) 

I am impressed again. With the OIII filter from Svbony, much more details can be seen in the nebula. Here Svbony has once again done everything right.

I tried to simulate what you see when you look through the eyepiece on the ring nebula.

Svbony_OIII_06.jpg

Conclusion:

Yes, the Svbony OIII filter works well. I can recommend it. It is best to find out in advance for which nebula the OIII filter brings the best contrast gain.

I wonder if the Baader OIII filter is even more narrow-banded and darkens the sky even more than the Svbony ... maybe I will get one in my hands one day...

I did not test the filter photographically. (Due to insufficient astrophotography equipment) lol.gif

Thank you for your attention

Edited by Skywatcher Simon, 27 August 2021 - 09:57 AM.

• tjay, SamOfSiam, Charles B. and 14 others like this

#2 Dobs O Fun

Dobs O Fun

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 27 August 2021 - 10:47 AM

Nicely done, especially with comparison photographs
  • Volta55 and Skywatcher Simon like this

#3 Skywatcher Simon

Skywatcher Simon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 August 2021 - 10:59 AM

Thanks! I try to explain everything very clearly. :)

• Karida Wei likes this

#4 aeajr

aeajr

James Webb Space Telescope

• Vendors
  • Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 27 August 2021 - 11:51 AM

Good report.

Of course what everyone wants to know is how it performs compared to other OIII filters.   Will need someone who has this one plus others to learn that.  

Perhaps you know someone who has a different OIII filter.  You could do a comparison. 

BTW, many 1.25" to 2" adapters have filter threads on them so you can place it there also.  Just check to be sure your eyepieces won't hit the filter. 

Edited by aeajr, 27 August 2021 - 11:51 AM.

• Karida Wei and Skywatcher Simon like this

#5 Skywatcher Simon

Skywatcher Simon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 August 2021 - 07:31 AM

Today I was in the mood for some comparison.

Baader UHC-S and Svbony OIII fIlter.

IMG_20210830_135606953_HDR.jpg

Its not about who is better! Just the difference between them. 

As you can see the yellow lemon is been a good target for the filters. grin.gif

I took the pictures with my smartphone holding the filter infront of the camera.

The whiteballance, ISO and exposer time remained the same.

Filter_Test.jpg

Here is my impression of the experience I had while trying the filters on the ring nebular. The Baader UHC-S showed a little more stars in the background and the Svbony OIII dimmed the background a little more and the nebula came out a little more contrasty.

OIII_UHC.jpg

Edited by Skywatcher Simon, 30 August 2021 - 07:48 AM.

• Charles B., Valorum, aeajr and 3 others like this

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 30 August 2021 - 07:58 AM

Simon:

Nice review.. Again. And again, I was considering the 2 inch Svbony O-lll filter as a backup to my Orion O-lll.  Still may buy one. I have a Svbony filter wheel for my 16 inch and when it's loaded, the filters are unavailable for use with my other telescopes.

Svbony specs the bandwidth at 18 nm, ideally it would be 14 nm or less. With a 14 nm bandwidth, the sky would be 0.27 magnitudes darker, not a lot. And it makes stars a little brighter. One advantage of the wider bandwidth is the filter is less likely to be not centered properly.

I have the Svbony CLS filter, it seems nicely made, no issues threading it on to an eyepiece.

Jon

• Skywatcher Simon likes this

#7 aeajr

aeajr

James Webb Space Telescope

• Vendors
  • Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 30 August 2021 - 09:45 AM

Today I was in the mood for some comparison.

Baader UHC-S and Svbony OIII fIlter.

attachicon.gifIMG_20210830_135606953_HDR.jpg

Its not about who is better! Just the difference between them. 

As you can see the yellow lemon is been a good target for the filters. grin.gif

I took the pictures with my smartphone holding the filter infront of the camera.

The whiteballance, ISO and exposer time remained the same.

attachicon.gifFilter_Test.jpg

Here is my impression of the experience I had while trying the filters on the ring nebular. The Baader UHC-S showed a little more stars in the background and the Svbony OIII dimmed the background a little more and the nebula came out a little more contrasty.

attachicon.gifOIII_UHC.jpg

Skywatcher Simon,

I am just blown away by the comparison image you posted. That may be the BEST example of how filters work and how they differ that I have ever seen.   Your inclusion of the filter spectrums really drives home the difference of no filter, a UHC and an OIII.

I try to explain to newbies about how filters work, but it is hard to carry the point through.  The concept is not what filters add, but what they take away and you really showed that beautifully!

Thanks so much for sharing that image.   If you don't mind I am going to save that image and share it with the club.  That is just fantastic work!

• Dobs O Fun, Skywatcher Simon and Vic.Dalfonzo like this

#8 Skywatcher Simon

Skywatcher Simon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 August 2021 - 09:53 AM

Skywatcher Simon,

I am just blown away by the comparison image you posted. That may be the BEST example of how filters work and how they differ that I have ever seen.   Your inclusion of the filter spectrums really drives home the difference of no filter, a UHC and an OIII.

I try to explain to newbies about how filters work, but it is hard to carry the point through.  The concept is not what filters add, but what they take away and you really showed that beautifully!

Thanks so much for sharing that image.   If you don't mind I am going to save that image and share it with the club.  That is just fantastic work!

Sure, feel free. I just try to show what have always confused me. :)

I am glad if I can help.

• edsmx5 likes this

#9 Dobs O Fun

Dobs O Fun

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 30 August 2021 - 12:32 PM

Isn't the Baader UHC and OIII have different bandwidths?

Wonder what the comparison would be between the Baader OIII and Svbony OIII

#10 Skywatcher Simon

Skywatcher Simon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 August 2021 - 12:42 PM

Isn't the Baader UHC and OIII have different bandwidths?

Wonder what the comparison would be between the Baader OIII and Svbony OIII

Yes they have different bandwidth. Unfortunately I don't have the Baader OIII in my collection...

• stpeng168 likes this

#11 Tarantular

Tarantular

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canada, BC

Posted 04 June 2022 - 02:44 PM

Great review, nice to see that its a decent filter. Just got a few of the SVBONY's filters. Moon, UV/IR, UHC, CLS, OIII. The OIII is the most expensive of the bunch. They seem solid, but we shall see. Will use them all for visual only.

#12 stpeng168

stpeng168

Vostok 1

Posted 23 December 2022 - 10:54 AM

Yes they have different bandwidth. Unfortunately I don't have the Baader OIII in my collection...

I used to own Baader OIII 8.5nm and Optolong OIII 18nm (I believe it's similar to, if not identical, to Svbony OIII). The Baader is much darker but doesn't have halos around bright stars as Optolong OIII does. Wonder if anyone noticed halo on Svbony?

Great review Simon. Very informative.

#13 sunrag

sunrag

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carmel, Indiana

Posted 26 November 2023 - 08:46 AM

I am getting the Baader Oiii visual which is 10nm BW, and the SVBony Oiii which is 18nm. According to the Baader spectrogram, it looks like the first Oiii line at 495.6nm will be considerably diminished, buy SVBony will let both lines through.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2114.jpeg
  • IMG_2115.jpeg

Edited by sunrag, 26 November 2023 - 08:53 AM.

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 26 November 2023 - 10:13 AM

I just purchased the Svbony 2 inch O-III filter.  I have not had a chance to use it under dark skies but from my urban backyard, I am quite pleased with it. I was able to see the Veil and the Helix under magnitude 18.2 skies.  

It is nicely made and threads easily to the eyepieces I tried it with.  

I test filters by measuring the difference in sky brightness with and without the filter using an SQM-L.  It's a crude test but it provides a measure of the transmission/bandwidth.  I measured about 3.0 magnitudes, same as my Orion O-III filter. I bought it with the idea of using it as a second O-lll filter for use with binoculars 50mm or less as well as with 50mm finders.  It should do that job but I will be interested in seeing how it performs on the Veil and the Crescent nebula from dark skies.

Jon

• saemark30, sunrag and JeremySh like this

#15 sunrag

sunrag

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 November 2023 - 12:24 PM

SV115 (SVBony Oiii ) is on sale now - $58 for 2” in Amazon.

#16 RLK1

RLK1

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 26 November 2023 - 01:24 PM

I just purchased the Svbony 2 inch O-III filter.  I have not had a chance to use it under dark skies but from my urban backyard, I am quite pleased with it. I was able to see the Veil and the Helix under magnitude 18.2 skies.  

It is nicely made and threads easily to the eyepieces I tried it with.  

I test filters by measuring the difference in sky brightness with and without the filter using an SQM-L.  It's a crude test but it provides a measure of the transmission/bandwidth.  I measured about 3.0 magnitudes, same as my Orion O-III filter. I bought it with the idea of using it as a second O-lll filter for use with binoculars 50mm or less as well as with 50mm finders.  It should do that job but I will be interested in seeing how it performs on the Veil and the Crescent nebula from dark skies.

Jon

Looking forward to your findings under dark skies.

I have a 1.25" Osselang branded 0111 filter that's supposed to be 18nm but the filter is way too weak and I'm doubting it's even close to that spec. Fortunately I have an excellent and premium 2" Lumicon 0111 that has served me well over the years and it has significantly outperformed other 0111 filters from Orion, Thousand Oaks, Zhumell and Celestron/Baader. The 1.25" Lumicon "classic" filter that I bought on sale from Farpoint awhile back works well, too.

#17 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 26 November 2023 - 01:33 PM

Looking forward to your findings under dark skies.

I have a 1.25" Osselang branded 0111 filter that's supposed to be 18nm but the filter is way too weak and I'm doubting it's even close to that spec. Fortunately I have an excellent and premium 2" Lumicon 0111 that has served me well over the years and it has significantly outperformed other 0111 filters from Orion, Thousand Oaks, Zhumell and Celestron/Baader. The 1.25" Lumicon "classic" filter that I bought on sale from Farpoint awhile back works well, too.

Rob:

Pulling the Veil out of 18.2 mpsas skies indicates it must be pretty decent.  

Jon

#18 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Voyager 1

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 26 November 2023 - 01:35 PM

SV115 (SVBony Oiii ) is on sale now - $58 for 2” in Amazon.

Cyber Monday deal for $45.59 https://www.amazon.c...B07QYZTGNW?th=1

#19 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 26 November 2023 - 01:55 PM

Maybe I should return mine and reorder it?  :lol:

Jon

• Doug Culbertson and edsmx5 like this

#20 RLK1

RLK1

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 26 November 2023 - 02:02 PM

That's a 1.25"model, not the 2" like Jon's.

#21 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Voyager 1

Posted 26 November 2023 - 02:15 PM

Yeah, I just noticed that. 

Edit: So where is the 2" OIII for $58 mentioned above? 

Edited by Doug Culbertson, 26 November 2023 - 02:21 PM.

#22 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Voyager 1

Posted 26 November 2023 - 02:33 PM

Just found it on AliExpress for $66.31, but when I put it in my cart they gave me $12 off, so $54.31 + tax.  https://www.aliexpre...ayAdapt=glo2usa

• sunrag likes this

#23 RLK1

RLK1

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 26 November 2023 - 03:02 PM

Just found it on AliExpress for $66.31, but when I put it in my cart they gave me $12 off, so $54.31 + tax.  https://www.aliexpre...ayAdapt=glo2usa

They put it in my cart for less but I decided not to buy it since I already have an excellent 2" Lumicon 0111 filter. Still curious about it and hopefully it'll outperform the pitifully weak Oseelang 0111 that I have and given Jon's initial findings, it'll probably will. I generally find Svbony products to have better QC than some of the other branded models from China with supposedly the same specs. 

#24 edsmx5

edsmx5

Apollo

• Loc: Lower Pottsgrove, Pa. Bortle 5+

Posted 26 November 2023 - 03:25 PM

+1 on that

#25 sunrag

sunrag

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 November 2023 - 03:46 PM

Yeah, I just noticed that. 

Edit: So where is the 2" OIII for $58 mentioned above? 

I tried to find it now, but the 2” is gone. I am seeing only the 1.25”. I checked the order i placed yesterday- it was for 2”, but it is not available in Amazon now.

It is still available on Ali Express for $66 with additional $12 off. Also delivered in 14 days, so overall much better option than Amazon. My Amazon order is slated for delivery in mid January.

Edited by sunrag, 26 November 2023 - 03:49 PM.

• Doug Culbertson likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Astrophotography, DSO, Equipment, Filters

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics