Chenowth Desert Patrol Vehicle Restoration

Lawdog734

RDC Crypto
Hello folks - new member here, so be gentle. I thought I'd take a moment to show you what I've been working on for the past several months. I saved a Chenowth Desert Patrol Vehicle and Chenowth SEAL "Squad" Vehicle that was destined for the scrap yard. They've seen better days, but they're definitely worth saving to preserve a piece of military history.

Nope, I won't be racing it like many of you guys do, but this website has been a wealth of info and I hope that I can get your input on some of the components on the vehicle. I figured these vehicles have had a rough life, so now it's time for a quiet retirement on the dirt roads and pastures near my house.

In some cases, it's obvious that they're not your run of the mill performance VW parts, so I hope that some of you might be able to assist. I posted this in this forum (Vintage) because I'm hoping that since it's a Magnum DR2 based vehicle, some of you would be familiar with them.

So for a little bit of history, I've had plans over the previous eight or none months of building a SEAL Desert Patrol Vehicle. Since Chenowth is out of business and there aren't exactly a glut of used chassis's out there, I originally decided the way to do it was via purchasing a Chenowth 4LWD setup and build it up accordingly. I've seen several "Desert Patrol Vehicles" for sale over the years and usually while they might be called a Desert Patrol Vehicle, in some cases even with a correct chassis, they aren't built to spec and that disappoints me. It's almost like getting an old military jeep, painting it a shoddy green color and putting street tires on it and passing it off as correct- if you're going to do it, then do it right. So that was my intention, build it as close to spec as possible.

So no sooner than a 4LWD I picked up was delivered to the house, I spoke with a friend of mine for work related business and tell him what my intentions are. He tells me that he had not just a Chenowth Desert Patrol vehicle behind his shop, but also had a 6 man Chenowth SEAL Squad Vehicle as well. While they clearly had seen better days, he said I could have them if I came to drag them away. All parts are there and they haven't run in about 5 years, but they'll be worth having-he was literally going to drag them to the scrap yard. Some people collect military jeeps, I guess I'll have a couple of SEAL buggies.

So a few notes about the 3 seat vehicle because that's what I started on first:

- From what I gathered from Ryan Thomas and Lynn Chenowth, here were 120 made. Most went to Naval Special Warfare Group 1 (west coast) starting in 1989, another smaller batch was made for Army Special Forces and UK SAS for Desert Storm. The final batch was delivered to the Navy after the first Gulf War.

- It's got CNC Brakes, hubs and pedals throughout and Saco steering box

- It's got a VW Type 4 engine modded by FAT Performance to 2.6 liter.

- It's got a Vanagon Transaxle with locking diffrential.

So, enough of my yapping - here's the pics. Let me know what ya think!

Desert Patrol Vehicle
20140811_110444_zpszwaicjyv.jpg

SEAL "Squad" Vehicle - 6 seats
20140811_110545_zps3501c3ad.jpg

I started on the 3 seat Desert Patrol Vehicle first. It was the worse of the two vehicles, but is the vehicle I'm the most excited about restoring.

Side Baskets
20140811_110500_zpsj7sdjjgu.jpg

Front End
20140811_110512_zpsdi7gfrgd.jpg

Rear End
20140811_110534_zpsfk4uxaxb.jpg

Right Rear
20140811_115627_zpsrqgjjjon.jpg

CNC Pedals
20140811_192147_zpsgd3jaxup.jpg

Gunners Seat Mount
20140812_194259_zpsvemjjf7o.jpg

So I managed to finish stripping it down the other day and am excited to start the restoration process.

20141130_151337_zpselyavwor.jpg

Here's the major damage that'll need to be repaired:

Floor Supports under seats and gas tank
20141130_151146_zps89dnai5b.jpg

Torsion Adjustment Housing
20141130_151240_zpswnamxio3.jpg

Right Rear Horn
20141130_151157_zpss2ypqyxq.jpg

20141130_151224_zpsjg2vdddk.jpg

Most of the parts that were pulled off are restorable, or I can at least identify them so that they can be replaced. I'm stumped on the rear transaxle mount though, and I hope that you guys might be of assistance.

Here's the rear hub:
20141207_153436_zpstpfikv6r.jpg

20141207_153501_zpsbt0hlyuj.jpg

And here's the rear axle:
20141207_175625_zpshowgvkwv.jpg

Which is secured in place with a Sander Engineering Sprint Hex Nut:
938db4af-d862-4de4-bdd2-b60772d71708_zps192d7cee.jpg

I know it's a lot of pictures, but I know most folks like pictures. Do any of you have any suggestions for who made the rear hubs and axles?

I appreciate any input that you folks might have.

I'm pretty sure you've come to the right place!
Good luck!

Advertising supports this site
Way back when there was a number of those at Camp Pendelton. Gary at B&R Buggies used to supply parts and such. It can be a real pain in the azz when water gets into the tubing and rusts from the inside as much as that has.

Thanks for the info - AdmiralMike has been a wealth of info on this so far and has been able to provide me with some pretty solid leads for tracking things down - being the docent for the Mech Museums vehicle.

He had mentioned B&R Buggy and your (MC) post reminded about the contacts he gave. Gary informed me that they are Summers Brothers Hubs and they aren't in business anymore. Fortunately, within a few short minutes he had me set up with all the info I'd need with individual part numbers for the bearings, rotors, etc.

Man, I hate to say it, but with the interior rust that thing is showing, please, please don't expect to off road it. Museum, cool conversation piece, etc... but it has obviously been run hard in the ocean and put away wet. Shame. Chenowth Chassis were one of the best ever built. This one seems to have suffered a poor fate. Good luck with the resto. I wish you had a better starting point. As far as the 6 seater, weren't those done by UMP?

Lawdog,

From what I remember, it has been many years, those rear hubs and stub axles were supplied by Chenowth. If I recall they were possibly made by Halibrand, the sprint car guys. Don't know if they are still in business. Some of the hubs were made of aluminum and some of magnesium. The shimming of the bearings on these was very critical to the life of the bearings being that they used ball bearings, so really pay attention to spacing when reassembling them. If you have any questions I will try and help out.

Kevin

Bro-Gill - as you know, these have already had a rough life, so I plan on them having a relaxing retirement. Like I said, I'm not planning on racing them and back east, we don't have the opportunities to off-road with them like you do out west. I plan on the occasional Sunday cruise with them, maybe a few dirt roads and pastures but primarily they'll ride in the occasional 4th of July or Veterans Day parades.

Regarding UMP - it's funny that you should mention that. I exchanged a few emails yesterday with Ron Hemphill at Div-Pro. He mentioned that UMP built the 6-seaters using parts mainly from Chenowth parts.

Is UMP "Unique Metal Products" in Oceanside, or is it something else?

Kevin, when Gary told me that the hubs were no longer made, somehow I took that to mean "no longer in business". Summers Brothers is still very much in business though and they confirmed the hub was theirs and hasn't been produced since the mid-80's. He said that if I needed another, that they could recast one and have a replacement to me in a couple of weeks.

As far as the axles - I suppose they could be from Halibrand, but I see nothing to indicate the source otherwise.

Last edited:
Don and Larry sold UMP years ago. Cliff took over in the mid 90s, he had nothing to do with this stuff.

Use to see Don with Mike Thomas at the early Sand Sports Shows in the Chenowth booth.

Larry is still doing aluminum body work.

Wow, cool rides for sure. I can honestly say i have never seen a chassis in that bad of shape and i would have passed up on the deal.....but kudos to you for taking on the restoration. Looks like a majority of those parts are junk so you will have to get new or new "used" parts. As for the rear hubs, you might want to try Butch at Valley Performance (Las Vegas), he might have some old hubs like that lying around. Luckily for us Vintage guys butch never throws anything away! Good luck on the Resto!

Nah, that'll buff out...

That is quite the project. Good luck and thanks for posting up the info you have!

GD

Got to agree the chassis is most likely junk at this point. The good news is its basically a plain old Chenowth and there's plenty of those around cheap enough that you would have a MUCH better starting point to rebuild.

They restore WW2 airplanes that have been sitting in salt water for years and manage to bring them back to life. It's a painful and time consuming process, but it can be done. I'm feeling pretty good with this one that I can bring it back as a runner. Race with or go wide-open in the desert, no - but for the purposes I'd use it for, it can be done.

Uh, salt doesn't rust aluminum. I feel for you, man, I truly do, but I think that things lower tubes are dunski. Wish it were that way, really. I love those cars, but someone really left that thing in a bad place when they dumper her. Maybe some others on here can help. Lee Perfect- You seeing this?

If man made it once, It can be" remade". If it's your passion, By all means restore what you have. Because if you were to build a complete new chassis it would no longer have it's History. It sounds like you have the passion to make it happen...Good Luck!

Regarding UMP - it's funny that you should mention that. I exchanged a few emails yesterday with Ron Hemphill at Div-Pro. He mentioned that UMP built the 6-seaters using parts mainly from Chenowth parts.

Is UMP "Unique Metal Products" in Oceanside, or is it something else?

Yes UMP built those 6 seaters and helped US ARMY train on how to drive.
Get a hold of Larry Storck, he was THE MAN on those cars. He is still in East County San Diego doing fabulous metal work.
Jeff Howe of Howe Performance was also involved with those cars.

Contact Bilstein, I'm sure they would like to help you out with the shock restoration part.

Don't know if this will help you out? On Craigslist SD in the ATV listing is a military ChenowEth for $500. Don't know if it is one, But doesn't hurt to look,

IIRC, most,if not all had Mastercraft seats in them. In 1982, while MC was still in Chula Vista, a friend and I stopped to check them out and I was offered a pair of seats for my truck. I put the money down and got them. Still have them and the original order sheet. They are covered in jungle camo in milspec water "resistant" material.

Ahh, the good ol' days

Back