To: Rezec Discord question....

Grandpappy

Feb 12, 2024
New Orleans, La
Hi Rez! I saw this post to my friend Volkor on Discord:

"These roles and other roles have been removed from the SWG: Evolve Discord as we are moving away from third party Discord bots. Several aspects of the SWG: Evolve Discord are being streamlined and minimized as our project reduces dependency on Discord as an official platform. The SWG: Evolve Discord will remain, but with less focus and less functionality."

What do you mean you're reducing dependency on Discord as an official platform? This is fine by me but what are you going to replace it with?

Thanks!!

GP

Evolve Staff

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 23, 2023
This comment was referring to these forums that are being utilized now.

The ticketing system for SWG: Evolve is moving here, because the Discord Bot that we have been using is a pain for our CSRs. You can't truly archive and organize past tickets due to Discord limitations.

Official discussions for ideas and suggestions were moved here because discussions on Discord are poorly managed, hard to follow and get lost with cross talk and chatter.

This same reasoning is why many sections like QA, CSR, Staff and Player Council sections are being completely moved to the forums. Discord is a fine platform for instant communication, but it is highly lacking in both security and trying to keep things organized. The feature of "threads" was Discord's attempt at copying a feature from Forums, but people don't utilize those enough.

Anything important from the forums that need duplicated are set to feed from the forums back to Discord without the use of a third-party bot.

Rezec

Polarizing Figure
Staff member
Jan 21, 2023
Discord isn't going away, but we will be far less dependent on Discord and Discord Bots for official business.

Reactions: Grandpappy

Grandpappy

Feb 12, 2024
New Orleans, La
This comment was referring to these forums that are being utilized now.

The ticketing system for SWG: Evolve is moving here, because the Discord Bot that we have been using is a pain for our CSRs. You can't truly archive and organize past tickets due to Discord limitations.

Official discussions for ideas and suggestions were moved here because discussions on Discord are poorly managed, hard to follow and get lost with cross talk and chatter.

This same reasoning is why many sections like QA, CSR, Staff and Player Council sections are being completely moved to the forums. Discord is a fine platform for instant communication, but it is highly lacking in both security and trying to keep things organized. The feature of "threads" was Discord's attempt at copying a feature from Forums, but people don't utilize those enough.

Anything important from the forums that need duplicated are set to feed from the forums back to Discord without the use of a third-party bot.
I agree with this: "....discussions on Discord are poorly managed, hard to follow and get lost with cross talk and chatter." I find Discord to be a mess - I'd much rather post here in the forums but it seems like people just want to be on Discord.

Rezec

Polarizing Figure
Staff member
Jan 21, 2023
That is a struggle, but you also see upcoming titles like Ashes of Creation that are still investing in Community Forums. I've also had emails from people that don't use Discord and have trouble finding help with topics since they don't.

Best I can do is set topics to always cross post back to discord so people there are still in the loop and organized conversations can happen here.

Reactions: Grandpappy

Grandpappy

Feb 12, 2024
New Orleans, La
That is a struggle, but you also see upcoming titles like Ashes of Creation that are still investing in Community Forums. I've also had emails from people that don't use Discord and have trouble finding help with topics since they don't.

Best I can do is set topics to always cross post back to discord so people there are still in the loop and organized conversations can happen here.
Thanks - I appreciate the explanation Rezec! It seems like everyone is on Discord and if you want any info or help you MUST use it. Before Discord people used forums like this one to communicate about the game and I'm hoping maybe it goes back to that someday. Thanks for all you do!

GP