testtest

Any love for the 38spl. Wadcutters?

Skunkhouse

Master Class
20230328_180638.jpg

In my S&W 638 Bodyguard that I use mostly as a backup weapon or for aggressive snakes, I carry 2 rounds of CCI snake shot and 3 rounds of hollow points.

When I lived in Arkansas a couple of years ago I killed quite a few cotton mouth snakes with the snake shot.

I've only seen a couple of rattlesnakes since I moved back to Texas and they were headed away from me which is a good thing...:)

I'm thinking about buying a Taurus 856 snubby with bobbed hammer so I can carry 6 rounds instead of 5.

Attachments

• Firearm_CCI_Snakeshot_03312023.jpg
    Firearm_CCI_Snakeshot_03312023.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 99
I’m a ‘smoke’m-if-you gott’m‘ / get’m-if-they’re available when it comes to any .38. variety.

With price-per-round being a big factor over a defensive necessity, I‘ll remain keeping six chambers stuffy w/.357 SJHP for my 4” and the 148gr WC’s in the 2”.
I never considered WC’s (defense load) until I seen some of the wallop they can deliver. Penetration is guess could be argued as marginal. Got to shoot it to know it’s effectiveness.

Newer .38 stuff these days is impressive, especially the hard cast, hopefully it will continue to evolve and be more available. But for but the WC’s…they are just as costly as RN lead and that’s a lot of $ for plinking cleaner holes in paper.

@Skunkhouse - what is that brand and the specs of that coated WC ?

When I bought my first revolver (circa 1991), wadcutters were the bomb at my local range. Memory fades, but I think I remember they appeared to be sawed-off bullets (the face was flat...same caliber as the bullet). They sure cut good holes in paper...They certainly were not stepped-up bullets like Skunkhouse's OP pic. Yes, they were .38-specials...

For defensive purposes, testing continues to show that modern .38 hollow points shot out of a snubnose don't necessarily perform consistently any better than a wadcutter.
That’s not quite correct.

If you look at this test, you can see several JHP’s that both get very good expansion as well as acceptable penetration out of 2” barrel…the wadcutter gives next to no expansion.

I've preferred 145 gr SWCs for practice loads in the .357.

My .02

Last edited:
That’s not quite correct.

If you look at this test, you can see several JHP’s that both get very good expansion as well as acceptable penetration out of 2” barrel…the wadcutter gives next to no expansion.
Yup, I'm well aware of that testing and refer to it often. Yes, there are a few examples that may improve on the wadcutter, but many do not. Including famous rounds like Speer, who many think is the gold standard.

I'd also suggest looking at the results from annual testing that are done at Gunsite during the revolver gathering there every Fall.

I’m a ‘smoke’m-if-you gott’m‘ / get’m-if-they’re available when it comes to any .38. variety.

With price-per-round being a big factor over a defensive necessity, I‘ll remain keeping six chambers stuffy w/.357 SJHP for my 4” and the 148gr WC’s in the 2”.
I never considered WC’s (defense load) until I seen some of the wallop they can deliver. Penetration is guess could be argued as marginal. Got to shoot it to know it’s effectiveness.

Newer .38 stuff these days is impressive, especially the hard cast, hopefully it will continue to evolve and be more available. But for but the WC’s…they are just as costly as RN lead and that’s a lot of $ for plinking cleaner holes in paper.

@Skunkhouse - what is that brand and the specs of that coated WC ?
Bayou Bullets where I got these , CKB bullets have nice ones too. I used 4.2 hp38

Back